Importing a .mov Into iMovie Well... Sucks

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Littleodie914, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hey guys, I've got a screencast I took using Snapz Pro, and it's saved as a .mov file on my desktop. It looks great, and is about 8 MB. When I import it into iMovie, however, every second or so there's a "twitch" in the video, where graphical anomalies appear around the edges of things, then settle away again. This happens with all .mov files I've tried.

So, is there any way to stop this from happening with a minimal loss of quality? I scoured the net and it seems this is just a general issue with iMovie importing video files, but I figured if anyone knew of a fix, I'd find it here. :)

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I'm not familiar with Snapz Pro, but have you tried MPEGStreamclip to convert into a DV file to import in iMovie. The .mov is simply a container and perhaps whatever's in there is not playing nice with iMovie.

http://www.squared5.com/

3. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

iMovie is primarily designed for editing [H]DV, which requires rather specific settings when exporting to MOV.

It is likely you probably exported your Snapz video to a video of lower resolution and/or different frame rate which would then certainly cause problems during any conversion.

The unfortunate thing about Snapz Pro X is that it doesn't save an intermediate file so you can't re-encode from the source.

4. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hmm, I tried that, and I get an "The File Could Not Be Imported: Unknown Error" message. :(

Edit: It worked on the second clip I tried, not sure what went wrong with the first. :)

5. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Solution: I don't know for sure which of my changes did the trick, but here's what worked for me:

1) Change the Snapz Pro output format to DV at 25fps.
    2) Change the iMovie framerate preference to 25fps.

Tah-dah! So I don't know whether it was the conversion from .mov to iMovie or a framerate issue, but I hope this helps someone!