Importing a playlist to a 2nd iTunes on a different network problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by elliottgdesign, Oct 30, 2009.

1. elliottgdesign macrumors newbie

MY QUESTION: Is it possible to import a playlist to new computer on a different computer/network and not lose all my song options settings?

All my volume adjustments, equalizer presets, start and stop times are gone when I import them to the new computer out of network. I have searched the internet to no avail!

The method i used:
    --burning discs [it took 2 discs] of the mp3s/playlist from the 1st mac/itunes
    --exporting the playlist .XML file from the 1st mac/itunes
    --adding the music files from the burned discs to the 2nd mac/iTunes
    --importing the .XML playlist to the 2nd mac/itunes

The goal I am striving for:
    --transfer a playlist and music files from one mac to another on the different network
    --transfer the playlist and files by way of a zipped folder on a flash drive rather than burning a disc
    --Keep the playlist, once imported into the 2nd iTunes, exactly how it is edited on the original iTunes with the original song-order, volume adjustments, equalizer presets, start times and stop times intact.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it even possible to keep all edits in the playlist once exported/imported? For me, a playlist is pointless if the flow of music is compromised! If anyone can shed light on this you would be relieving hours of frustration! thanks guys!

2. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

All that information is stored in the iTunes Pref's. I believe this will work.

1) Import the library to iTunes on the new computer.

2) Once imported, quit iTunes

3) Copy ALL the iTunes pref's from the original computer to the new computer. (i.e. "com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist", "com.apple.iTunes.plist", etc.). Yes, you will replace files when asked. Path is USER>LIBRARY>PREFERENCES

4) Launch iTunes on the new computer and everything should look the same.

Hope that work for you!