Importing an iPad with Cellular from the US to UK

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Willeth, May 26, 2012.

1. Willeth macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying a WiFi iPad when in the States in a few months, but was wondering if I were to change my mind and get a New iPad with Cellular whether I'd have to jump through any hoops regarding getting it working back home in England with a UK SIM? I'd likely buy it outright from Apple or a big box without a carrier if I can.

I was originally planning to tether it to my iPhone with PH but would like to know all my options if possible.

Thanks!

2. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Do they sell it Sim-free in the US? You shouldn't have any issues if so (basing this on experience with my dad's 3G US iPad 2), but of course do remember that the 4G will be practically useless in the UK - if that matters to you.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I know the 1st gen was sold unlocked and I believe that they still are sold unlocked. Just make sure you get the AT&T one since I don't think the verizon one has an unlocked sim slot.

4. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

Don't you need a US social security number to buy an iPhone over there?

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

He's asking about an iPad, but even for an iPhone I don't think you still need it, you'll just need one if you want to sign up for a contract and get the subsidized price.

6. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

Ah, sorry, I misread his original posting.

Yes, he's absolutely fine. It's the same iPad sold everywhere in the world with the exception of the Verizon models with their CDMA circuitry. You want an A1430 model and not an A1403 model. See https://discussions.apple.com/message/18395826#18395826

7. SgtBullmoose macrumors member

You just need to buy the AT&T iPad. I t wikl work in the UK version. The Verizon one will work as well. But I am under the understanding that it will not use DCHSPA in the EU. N ot 100% sure though about Verizon. Th e ATT model will work for sure. Once you get back to the UK you can just get a SIM card from Vodaphone or Orange or whoever you want.

8. Willeth thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent advice, thanks all.