importing and editing a movie

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crusher25, Mar 25, 2009.

1. crusher25 macrumors newbie

Hello everybody, I have just recently purchased an iMac and have edited some film from my hdv camcorder, but i was wondering how do you take a movie from a dvd and use some fo the clips off of it. I have seen countless youtube videos where people take movie clips and mix in there on clips with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Pop the DVD in the SuperDrive and drag the video files from VIDEO_TS into the Movies folder.

David

3. crusher25 thread starter macrumors newbie

So when I put the dvd and it tries to play it, just exit out of that and open the dvd up using finder to pull up those files? Sorry to ask so much, it is my first mac and I am still trying to get the hang of it. Thank you for all your help!

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

That is correct. And no worries about the questions, you are in the Mac Basics and Help section so it is expected.:)

David

5. crusher25 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am going to try it as soon as I get home, thank you very much for the help!

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Glad I could help. If you have any more questions, you can post here and I will do my best to help you. BTW, if you are on your iPhone there is a much easier way to post from your iPhone than macrumors.com, it's called Mobile MacRumors. The URL is mobile.macrumors.com.

David

7. crusher25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I inserted the dvd, and opened it up to the find the VIDEO_TS folder, I moved it to the desktop, after it downloaded I then moved it to the movies folder under finder. I have tried to open it in iMovie, but it will not recognize it. Do I need to convert the VOB files or something? Do I need software like Toast or is there anything I need to download online?