Importing ANYTHING?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BrendonS, Jan 1, 2009.

1. BrendonS macrumors newbie

So I found this box out somewhere (in a parking lot fleamarket, surprisingly).... I've heard it called different things, but on the outside it just says ADVC110

In any case, I know that the box does this: You plug anything into it (via AV cable) and you plug the firewire end into your Macbook. With this you can pretty much import any type of content into programs like iMovie (think importing video from a camcorder or iSight).

Now, this opens up a window of HUGE opportunity because I can pretty much run anything involving video cables on my Macbook (think XBOX, Gamecube, Wii, etc.)

Now............

When I play this stuff through iMovie, pretty much all I have to do is connect it using the box and then into the firewire port. You open up the "import" screen and all you have to do is preview it and it shows basically what you would see if your device was plugged into a tv. The PROBLEM is that the preview box is relatively small and cannot be stretched to fullscreen.

This means I can only play games on a little box open in the iMovie window.

My question:

Is there any software out there that would allow me to view content once plugged in using the entire screen? (the ADVC110 box can't be found anywhere in finder)

??

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Nice find. You can go here and read up on what it is. Grass Valley is a very good maker of video equipment.

The biggest thing you need to understand is that this is a converter box. It will take an input and allow you to import it for video editing. Not playing games....

3. BrendonS thread starter macrumors newbie

D:

nooooooooooooo

but shouldn't it theoretically work if all you're doing is using your screen as a display?

i heard of a bunch of programs.... i think they come from some kind of apple software developer blablabla i don't know website

there's supposedly a bunch of open-source programs you can use to import from this type of box using different "channels"....

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I'm just telling you what the box is designed for and what it will do. I'm going to be mean here and tell you that I am not going to re-search for you on how to make a box like that work for video games (don't think it will anyway). It's a specific box with a specific job.

Not sure why you would want to hook a video game console into the Mac just to use it as a monitor. A TV would look much better and be a bigger viewing area.