Importing apple products from England

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by monkeydancer, Mar 4, 2009.

1. monkeydancer macrumors newbie

Hello members,

I want to purchase a new macbook, but here in the Netherlands it's really expensive to buy one. There are rarely any sales or reductions and the standard price for a new alu. macbook (standard model, 2.0 ghz) is 1.199 euro's.

The pound is currently cheap for me and therefore I want to order on in the UK. So my question is: does anyone happen to know where I can order a macbook online at an UK shop, which ships to the Netherlands? Which is also reliable and trustworthy? Does anyone have any experience ordering a macbook online at an English webshop? Thanks.

2. HyperSnake macrumors member

www.amazon.co.uk

Just remember that your country's VAT will be applied to the product when crossing borders and that you cannot deduct the british tax unless you are there in person.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Because both countries are in the EU, you only pay VAT once at the time of purchase.

4. monkeydancer thread starter macrumors newbie

To bad amazon doesn't ship to the Netherlands. They have restricted it.

5. svndmvn Guest

looks like amazon.co.uk only ships computer within the UK
    Edit: too late

6. HyperSnake macrumors member

I didn't know that. I'm in switzerland so I pay tax both places. Which country do you pay tax to, the one you're in or the one you bought the item from?

Ohh I didn't know that, sorry.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The one you are buying from.

8. monkeydancer thread starter macrumors newbie

You only pay the VAT of the corresponding EU country (which is 15% in the UK). You don't have to pay additional customs duty and turnover tax (at least in the Netherlands) when you order stuff in an EU country, listed on the customs website.

9. Jaunty macrumors regular

10. EricTheRed71 macrumors member

Not actually always true as I found out to my cost.

Amazon for example are VAT registered in all the countries they ship to & you pay the VAT rate of your own country. I think any company with a certain turnover of exports to a certain country must be VAT registered in that country.

An example:

A computer costs £1150 inclunding VAT on the Amazon.co.uk website.
    You order the computer but after entering the delivery address (in this example Germany) the price has changed to £1190 taking into account the 19% VAT rate of Germany.

Be careful ordering books from Amazon.co.uk as well. I got stung on that one as well. The UK has 0% VAT on books, Germany has 7%. Getting books sent to Germany meant the 7% VAT was added to the invoice.

As far as I know, only Amazon do this!