Importing bookmarks to safari 3 from firefox 3 time machine backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hamsterburger, May 25, 2009.

1. hamsterburger macrumors member

Hi.

I have a squeaky clean Leopard install. I want to use the bookmarks from firefox 3 in Safari.

I have a Time machine backup of my old install. Where in the Time machine backup are my old firefox bookmarks stored? And how would i go about importing bookmarks from here to Safari?

Thanks for any help on this:)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Time Machine BackUp HDD > Backup.folder (or something like this) > (folder with a date) > Users > You > Library > Application Support > Firefox > Profiles > xyz12345 (just a cryptic folder) > bookmarks.html

3. hamsterburger thread starter macrumors member

Thanks spinnerlys. :)

It turns out that the bookmarks.html file does not contain anything but the standard firefox bookmarks. Its just 8 kb. I may have deleted the bookmarks before doing the last time machine backup

However i have a few backups of old .json files in the folder called "bookmarkbackups" in a subfolder. How can i restore my bookmarks, either in opera or in firefox from a json file?

4. hamsterburger thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!!

I have now imported my old bookmarks from the json file in to firefox. Now all that remanes is to import them in to safari.

"bookmarks.html", in the location you described on my computer, contains nothing. Where are my recently restored bookmarks located?