Importing Business Cards Into Address Book

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michael73, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

I've recently started my own business and have gotten involved with a number of networking groups. I'm now sitting here with a bunch of business cards. I have a Canon CanoScan 5600F that will let me scan the cards but I can only save them as PDF, JPEG, TIFF or PICT.

Rather than recreating all these business cards by hand, is there an easy way to import all these into Address Book?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not from those formats no.

Best bet would be to scan them using OCR software. Save the result as a text file and then import that into Address Book.

3. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

The Canon supplied software has an OCR mode which then lets you open the scan in TextEdit but it's coming out as just jumbled characters.

Not that it's the best way, but is it possible to attach a scanned jpeg image of the card to the address book entry in the Notes section for example?

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Surely as it is OCR software it should offer to walk you through the file and correct any errors? Most decent OCR software offers this functionality. Are the business cards hard to read?

As to your second point, not that I know of.

5. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

It'll probably be much easier and faster to just do everything by hand.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My Canon CanoScan 8600F shipped with Nuance's OmniPage SE Direct OCR. It requires that you select zones and then manually step through the recognized text to spellcheck it just as you would with a document that you or a colleague had typed. More sophisticated OCR will cost money.

7. awmazz macrumors 65816

It should be a future option if not now. Some digital cameras like RICOH now have an in-camera preset for taking shots of business cards at an angle or perspective (on a table or desk for example) and squaring them up full screen so no scanning necessary. I imagine this will become a standard feature on all new cameras soon, even on phones.

8. LoroParlanchino macrumors newbie

----
    Thu22Jan2010
    You can import business cards into Apple's Address Book by using Bento for that purpose, as follows:

1. Scan business card into a readily identified folder in Documents, like My Scanned Busines Cards, for example. Use .jpeg format to store scan.
    2. In Bento, go to your addresses imported from Address Book.
    3. Create a new field called Business Card, for example.
    4. Make sure you allow enough square space to fit your Jpeg You can resize the field to the scale of the card by dragging its corner.
    5. Go to your scanned business card folder in Documents and select the card corresponding to the address you want to insert it to in Bento.
    6. Drag and drop your .jpeg to the newly created field in Bento,
    7. And voilà, there you have it.

Note: This setup for your business cards will only show up in the Bento interface, in the new field, not in Address Book. But the rest of the Address Book fields continue to update in Bento. ˚

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'd say if it's a big issue, look into one of the dedicated business card scanners. DYMO makes the CardScan line now, which are quite good as far as I understand, and will integrate with Address Book directly. Not incredibly cheap (looks like the Mac version is about $260), but if you really do it a lot, that will save you a lot of time and hassle.

jW

10. JohnnyDeLuxe macrumors newbie

If one is so lucky to have an iPhone the issue raised here can be solved with the app Cardreader that very nicely creates an entry into the AdressBook from a snap-shot photo of nearly any business card I have encountered.

The price of the app is a couple of $.