Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaha76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
I've been reading all over the internet and in these forums, but I can't seem to find anything that helps. My Canon camcorder (HFM301) takes video in the following format: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264. Is there any way to simply use my iPad to backup these files while I'm on vacation? When I plug in the camera connection kit I don't even see the video files.

I knew I wouldn't be able to play them on the iPad, but from everything I was reading I was expecting to be able to at least see the files to transfer to my camera roll for backup purposes. It appears that none of the 3rd party apps are able to import from the CCK, is that correct?

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
If they're .m4v files they should show up. Are they in the DCIM directory on the SD card? And are you looking in the Photos app, not Video?

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
When you plug in the CCK, does the Photos app appear and show you the pictures on the SD card? If so, and your videos don't appear in the same space as the photos, then it are likely one of the following:
a) the videos are in a format that the iPad can't deal with
b) the videos are not in the DCIM directory (or a subdirectory)
c) the videos don't have an 8.3-format filename

If nothing happens when you plug in the CCK with an SD card, then something else entirely is wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.