Importing Canon XH A1 into imovie 08

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by silverlands23, Feb 16, 2009.

1. silverlands23 macrumors newbie

I have some mini DV tapes that i want to get onto my mac and edit in imovie. I dont have the camera they were taken on though, that was a sony DCR mini DV camcorder. I am borrowing a Canon XH A1 camera and connecting it via firewire to my macbook (white) with lepard and imovie '08.

When i open imovie all is fine, it recognises the camera and opens the 'import from camera' interface. it says that if I click 'import' it will rewind the tape and start importing. It doesnt do this. it starts to but it stays blue and as soon as the picture is suppose to come up on the camera (whilst watching it on the camera display) the whole thing stops, When I try to do it manually, I click 'play' and the picture on the camera display plays the footage, however the screen in Imovie is still blue and stays blue, however the timer is ticking over. Its as if everything is working fine, its just the picture is not being shown on the computer in imovie. When I go to the file i have supposedly created after pressing 'stop' in movie, the folder is there, but there is no movie file in the folder, there is nothing.

If anyone knows why this is happening please could ya help us out. I think it could be to do with fact that the camrea is a HDV/DV but not sure.

2. xStep macrumors 68000

Perhaps you have to switch the camera to playback STD definition video. Page 110 of the manual suggests this.

3. silverlands23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alot, got it sorted. it was that problem, found it on page 95 though!!

Cheerz