Importing CD's (artist/track info)... wait for Internet access or doesn't matter?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Gooter, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Gooter macrumors member

Gooter

I am starting to import my CD collection into iTunes. I want to do be able to do this while I am commuting to work on the train. However, I do not have Internet access on my laptop (currently Windows based) while away from home. If I import a CD, I do not get the artist/track info for each CD due to not having Internet.

It looks like I can add the artist/track info later when I get home via the menu. Is there any DISADVANTAGE in doing it this way as opposed to just importing everything while I do have Internet access? Will iTunes reorganize the music for me once it obtains the additional info? (so it will not show up under "unknown audio".)

Thanks

Sorry two more questions, do I have to "get info" for each unknown track individually or can I select multiple tracks at the same time? And, will I have to reinsert the CD to download the track info or does it not need it?

2. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

Don't wait till You have an internet connection. itunes will find the track names and artwork after the fact. The only disadvantage is you won't know what everything is... but if you need to keep it organized I would create a playlist for each CD you import so you know what everything is until you are able to access the internet.

3. Gooter thread starter macrumors member

Gooter

Tested this out yesterday.

I imported 3 CD's on the train while not having Internet access. Each CD's tracks showed up as Track01, 02, etc... They did not overwrite one another. When I got home and thus had Internet access again, I highlighted all of the tracks I needed info for and selected "Get Track Info". After a few seconds, all of the tracks were now properly identified and iTunes reorganized them all in the iTunes folder (from "unknown artist/audio" to the proper artist)! Very cool!