Importing CDs Into iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hexonxonx, Nov 5, 2007.

1. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Hi all

Been spending most of the day importing my CDs into iTunes. I used the default which was AAC 128 kbps. I think they sound excellent myself. Is this the same bitrate as songs I purchase from iTunes and are they AAC as well? I know iTunes plus songs are 256. I was sort of concerned with disk space on my MBP. My 250GB external drive decided it didn't want to be used for music anymore and well...the rest got ugly.

Thanks!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is the same as nonplus iTunes tracks.

How are you listening to the tracks because to me 128kbps sounds terrible.

3. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

On my car stereo or at home via my stereo there or headphones. I think they sound great. I don't notice and differance from what I buy in iTunes so that's why I aksed about them in my post.

4. bozigle macrumors regular

I think you might be asking the wrong question.
    does it matter that it is or it isn't the same bitrate as itune?
    i don't think so!
    If you're happy with your compression and can't notice the difference between the CD and the compressed file then don't bother and keep it this way, you're saving space on you hd

Sound quality (as well as vision quality) is something that need practice.
    I know plenty of people who are happy to play mp3 on their hifi( or their divx on their tv) and when i point out that the quality is terrible then they can't noticed what i just point out.
    I grew up with good quality sound and good quality image... as a result eyes and ears have been trainned to notice when some thing sound or look crap.
    I would not myself go for something under 192kbs... so all my cds are scanned twice. one version 192 for the ipod and apple lossless for the hifi.

Does it make me more happy than you or people who don't notice the difference?
    no!

so just don't bother with pure figures... you can't ear the difference then 128kbs is the way to go for you!

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I usually rip in 192. Aren't the iTunes (non-plus) songs in 192?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, at least 99%+ of them are 128k AACs. But if you're ripping in MP3, 192MP3 is probably roughly equivalent to 128AAC.

7. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the help people. I will leave my CDs that I ripped this way for now. I honestly can't tell the difference now in the sound quality. I listened to Pink Floyd's the Wall now, this is ripped at 192kbps and then I listened to the same bands Animals disk at 128kbps and I can't hear any difference in sound. It all sounds good to me and that's all that counts since it's my iPod! I pretty much knew they were comparable to what i Buy from iTunes.

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Yea I always rip them in AAC.