Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Hi All,

I want to build my contact list in the iPad 4 mini, currently there are no contacts.

I have an Excel sheet which has my contacts.

Is there any way I could import the contacts from the Excel sheet into the 'Contacts' in the iPad 4?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Hi

Abit long winded but there are several ways:-
Use an app to do it
Example app is https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sa-contacts-export-import-contacts-to-from-excel/id379262343?mt=8

There may be more but I am sure you can do your own research on this.

Set up an account like Gmail and then sync its contacts with IOS contacts app.
http://www.wikihow.com/Add-Contacts-to-Gmail-Using-a-CSV-File

Requires a pc/Mac to do this though.
Follow these steps on your iPhone/Ipad/ i device and follow these steps

1. Open the Settings app on your device.
  2. Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
  3. Select Add Account.
  4. Select Google.
  5. Fill out your account information in the following fields:
    • Name: Enter your name
    • User Name: Enter your full Google Account or Google Apps email address.
    • Password: Your Google Account or Google Apps password. (If you’ve enabled 2 Step verification, you’ll need to generate and enter an application specific password.)
    • Description: Enter a description of the account (e.g. Personal Contacts).
  6. Select Next at the top of your screen.
  7. Make sure that the "Contacts" option is turned ON. The switch should be green. Turn off other buttons if you don't require them.
  8. Select Save at the top of your screen.

Your Gmail contacts are now in sync with your i device
In i device iCloud setting , turn on 'sync contact' option, your device will automatically sync these contacts with your iCloud.

Your CSV contacts are merged with iCloud.

[In case, you wanted to get the contacts on i device from icloud and hence you wanted to get all of them on icloud from your CSV, you don't need to bother about syncing them with icoud now as your contacts are already on your device.]

There are other ways and if you do a google search this will assist.

Reactions: MBP_187

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
As has been mentioned, the best approach imho is to use the likes of GMail or Hotmail. You can import your contacts there and sync with the iPad. This is a flexible approach as you can do edits on either the desktop or iPad which will sync both ways and you have all the web tools on the desktop to back up or export your contacts as required. Also means these can sync to your iphone or desktop or similar and if you lose your iPad or wipe it, you have an easy method to get to your contacts or restore them.

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Thank you JD2015, BrianBaughn and Donka for your replies.

I will try the free app BrianBaughn, and update.

I am trying to back up contacts from a Samsung phone ( Core2 Duo) which is running Android 4.2.2 . I am sure there are more handy apps from Android to export to iPad, but I am not a big fan of Android apps and wanted an easy way to transfer the phone numbers. I recently downloaded an Android app, for one time use, which emailed the contacts in an Excel sheet.
I am trying to somehow, transfer the contacts data from the Excel sheet to the iPad 4s' contacts.
The phone contacts are not synched with Gmail...yet. I will resort to that option if the free app fails.

Will try the app and let All know. Thanks.

Last edited:

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
If you have outlook, you can import the contacts from excel to outlook and use the apple sync plug in to get it over to Apple Contacts. I know this works on Windows but haven't looked for similar options on MAC OS.

Reactions: jeremiah256

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
If you have outlook, you can import the contacts from excel to outlook and use the apple sync plug in to get it over to Apple Contacts. I know this works on Windows but haven't looked for similar options on MAC OS.

Good idea! Once in Outlook one might also be able to export all contacts to a single vCard file and email that to the iPhone.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I am trying to back up contacts from a Samsung phone ( Core2 Duo) which is running Android 4.2.2 . I am sure there are more handy apps from Android to export to iPad, but I am not a big fan of Android apps and wanted an easy way to transfer the phone numbers. I recently downloaded an Android app, for one time use, which emailed the contacts in an Excel sheet.
I am trying to somehow, transfer the contacts data from the Excel sheet to the iPad 4s' contacts.
The phone contacts are not synched with Gmail...yet. I will resort to that option if the free app fails.

Will try the app and let All know. Thanks.

If you're moving from android to iOS, I was pretty sure that apple creates an android app to move contacts and other data exactly as you're trying to do. I don't know the name of the app off the top of my head, but a quick search should pull it up. Should be a lot easier than exporting to excel and then importing into another app. Less room for error as well.

Reactions: MBP_187
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.