Importing contacts to Mail: mass migration

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ampersandetc, May 23, 2011.

1. ampersandetc macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I am in the process of switching from yahoo mail to gmail via Mail app. (I pretty much never use the web-based version of Gmail, I like the Mail app interface better).

I am wanting to import all my contacts from Yahoo in one easy step.
    So far I have managed to export all my yahoo contacts into a .csv file, but when I come to import them to mail it seems I can only do the import one address at the time.
    Needless to say, I don't want to sit there for hours importing the hundreds of contacts one at a time.

FYI: I am using a 2011 MacBook Pro, running Mac OS X 10.6.7 and address book v 5.0.3, in case its relevant.

Any advice on how to streamline this process would be greatly appreciated.

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Have you tried importing your contacts into Address Book? I think Mail.app uses that to keep your contacts organized.

I'm not 100% sure though. I mainly use Fluid.app and GMail's web interface.

3. ampersandetc thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, that is the process I'm trying to undertake, to directly import the .csv files en bloc into the Address Book app.

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I just went through the process of getting some contacts from Gmail and importing them into Address Book and it didn't do it one at a time with a .csv file.

Anyway, have you tried syncing your Yahoo address book with Address Book.app by going to Address Book> Preferences> Accounts> Synchronize with Yahoo?

PS: Make sure you have a backup of all your contacts from Yahoo in case something goes wrong.