Importing Copy Protected CDs into iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Phuz01, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Phuz01 macrumors member

Over the weekend, I got several CDs on sale. One of them was a Sony/Columbia/Legacy CD, and I didn't notice it carried a small message "Content enhanced and protected."

When I put the CD in my drive, it doesn't show up in iTunes. In fact, it asked to install a stand-alone player on my computer. But if you do that, all sorts of security warnings pop up. So I installed the patches as directed, but I was still unable to view the CD in iTunes.

After installing, I noticed my antivirus software was deactivated. So I removed all the software and rolled back my system.

Does anybody know a way around this copy protection software that won't put my system at risk? I just want to import the CD tracks into iTunes.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Phuz01 thread starter macrumors member

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're going to run into a mess there since AutoPlay/Run is turned on by default and there's a chance they're altering how Windows can mount the disc itself.

IMHO I wouldn't buy a CD that doesn't comply with Red Book.

5. Phuz01 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I might not have been so quick to buy had it not been on sale for $5.99. Looks like I might just have to bite the bullet and see if it's available on the iTunes store. Good money after bad.

6. Seanasaur macrumors member

I had this dilemma when Switchfoot's Nothing Is Sound came out in 2005. I finally decided on ripping it the old school way using a CD player, a 3.5 mm male to male headphone cable, and an audio program called GoldWave.

7. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

If you have a friend with a Mac, chances are that he/she would be able to rip it ... as long as it mounts.

8. Phuz01 thread starter macrumors member

I have access to a Mac at the office. Will try that tomorrow. If it doesn't work, does anybody else have suggestions?

I figured somebody here might have encountered this problem and been crafty enough to come up with a work-around.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

What was the CD? It could have contained the infamous Sony "rootkit"

10. Phuz01 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, Phil. You hit the nail on the head. It's one of THOSE CDs. :(

I'm looking for a way to break through the idiotic copy protection. The downloads Sony offered as a work-around didn't work, and they disabled my antivirus software. So I uninstalled all the Sony software and rolled back my system.

So now I'm sitting with this crap CD and no way to get the music from it into iTunes.

11. Phuz01 thread starter macrumors member

Putting the CD in a Mac worked like a charm. Yet another reason Mac is superior to Windoze.

I posted this on the Apple support site, and they removed it and sent me a warning about requesting advice to perform illegal activities. Yeah, I wanted to put the music from a CD that I purchased into my iTunes library. Lock me up now!

12. cwerdna macrumors 6502

a little late but...

I'm a little late but you might be able to get a replacement CD w/o the rootkit software. See http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/.