Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Echoes1024

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
I borrowed a DV camcorder to import some old tapes of the family that I had. I'm having a few problems. First of all, iMovie won't import or play anything from the camera for some reason. If I press "play" it just says "playing" or something to that effect (I can't remember precisely)

So I imported using Quicktime Pro, but I feel the quality isn't up-to the task. I'm saving the files as Native format and not encoding it to MPEG-4 or H.264. The video is pretty dark and if I brighten it in iMovie (after importing the .MOV file) it reveals a lot of noise. The same video playbacks quite nicely on my Camera's screen - its very crisp and not dark at all. Why is this? Anything I can do to improve the quality?

Also, since iMovie is regarding as pretty buggy what else is there? i can't really justify buying Final Cut Express for this. How is HyperEngine-AV? Is it worth the download?

Thanks for any help.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Echoes1024 said:
So I imported using Quicktime Pro, but I feel the quality isn't up-to the task. I'm saving the files as Native format and not encoding it to MPEG-4 or H.264. The video is pretty dark and if I brighten it in iMovie (after importing the .MOV file) it reveals a lot of noise. The same video playbacks quite nicely on my Camera's screen - its very crisp and not dark at all. Why is this? Anything I can do to improve the quality?

It's like that because you are viewing it on a computer monitor. TVs and monitors display things differently so your video is fine.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.