importing DVR recorded shows to Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sir42, Sep 26, 2007.

1. sir42 macrumors 6502

I have a standard issue HD-DVR (Motorola) from my cable company which happens to have a USB connector right on the front of the box. Is there a way to get the recorded shows off of my DVR and onto my Mac?

thanks!

2. joeconvert macrumors 6502

You'd only have luck using firewire. (Which it probalby has on the back). However, everything but your local HDs are likely protected with 5C (broadcast flag), so you are likely wasting your time.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Another way to do it is through the analog outputs (composite or s-video). There are several devices that will do analog to digital (A/D) conversions. You may already have one (miniDV camcorders). Some standalone devices will convert to MPEG-2 or MPEG-4.

The downside is that the footage is not maintained in HD.

The only way to get the recorded footage off of the DVR in HD quality is to use Firewire.

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

most cable companies have the ports turned off or are only there for maintenance mode. i have a scientific atlanta box and i can't see anything via USB or firewire. you're more then likely out of luck, the drives are generally in some weird encrypted format that nothing can read anyway when you get boxes from the cable companies.

5. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

It does have a firewire port on the back. What would the next step be?

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

They are supposed to have the Firewire port active, per the FCC. If yours doesn't work, you should request a box with a working FW port. I'm not saying that you'll get one, but they are required to provide it to you.

It's not just a Mac/PC thing either. If you have a D-VHS, it's only input is Firewire.

There are applications that you can use for emulating a D-VHS deck. Your Mac will essentially be a D-VHS and record the video as MPEG-2 streams. Do a Google for "Virtual D-VHS".

Check out these links too.

iRecord

AVSForum Thread - LONG!!!!!!

7. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

I have not tested this but the process seems sound. Link to Fireware/DVR Instructions

8. Millwood macrumors regular

I do the same thing with my Motorolla HD box.
    Currently this is no way to "pull" recorded shows from your box to your Mac. You'd have to play them and stream them onto your computer.

9. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

My DVR is actually already recording the shows. Is there anyway to get those recordings off of the DVR and onto my mac through the firewire?

10. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Did you even look through any of the links provided? Yes its possible, Ive done it.

11. Millwood macrumors regular

You can take your recorded shows off from your dvr and put them on your mac. But like I said, you have to stream them. Press play on your remote and record through your firewire.
    Doing that though, screws up your fast-foward and rewind functions on your remote and could pixelate the screen. If that happens, you will have to unplug your box and reset it.

12. eyedoc_00 macrumors regular

Dish network ?

I posted this question before and did not get any response. It seems that someone may have a response in this thread.
    I have dish network and a pocket dish. This let's me take recorded shows from my dish reciever and play them on the pocket dish. I can connect the pocket dish to my mac and transfer the shows to the mac. They are specified as .dpd files. Does anybody know how I can open this type of file to watch the tv show or to connvert it to a format iTunes can play to have it on an iPod?

Thanks for any suggestions.

13. huntblack macrumors newbie

Converter

The best free converter is Handbrake that i know of witch is so easy to convert to iphone ipod size even has presets