Importing email addresses to address book

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by glasmale26, May 25, 2010.

1. glasmale26 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    To cut a long story short I have a CSV Excel Databse of email addresses that I would like to email.

I follow the instructions to import them into The Address Book in order to add them to my contacts but keep getting the following message.

The file you selected does not appear to be a valid comma separated values (csv) file nor a valid tab delimited file, please choose another file.

Is their something I am missing? In the excel file I have saved the file as CSV, there is just one column of approx 1000 email addresses. I then go to address book, file, import text file and can select the file I want. Then the error message appears.

Is there any other way of doing this? Presume web mail providers wont have an import capability?

Many thanks for your help!

Steven

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Not positive, but I think your "one column" is the culprit. Address book is looking for something that identifies which data goes into which field in AB -- so if everything is in one column, it can't figure out where to put the data. Seems like each field (last name, first name, phone number, street address, etc. needs its own column.

3. glasmale26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, I actually worked this out myself not long after, I got them to import but without any data, then added a column beside the emails simply listed 1,2,3 etc and it has worked fine!!!

Thanks
    Steven