Importing files from my G4 MDD desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bigsnowdog, Dec 16, 2010.

1. bigsnowdog macrumors member

I have received my new Mac Pro and I am really enjoying it. I have a 1.25 Ghz MDD G4 desktop that has a lot of files I want to move. What is the easiest way to do that? Can I connect them with an ethernet cable, or do I have to have some special software? I would like to avoid having to buy an external hard drive to move the data.

Thank you.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. bigsnowdog thread starter macrumors member

Very good, thank you. I have used migration assistant to move the files via ethernet cable. In spite of the fact that I set it to not move applications or settings, it brought software folders over. Ironically, I can't find any documents, which was my real goal.

Am I not finding them, or just not seeing them? I don't understand if I have failed or if I am just confused somehow.

4. simsaladimbamba

Maybe it has imported the files onto another account with the same name as your old G4 account. Take a look at the USERS folder.

If you just want the files, you can just use File Sharing (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1549, might differ for Mac OS X 10.3 or 10.4) to transfer folders and files to your new Mac.

5. bigsnowdog thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the quick reply!

I looked; there is only one user account.

I will also have a look at the link you offer. The odd thing is it told me the transfer was complete, with me having chosen documents as being moved, yet they are not there.