Importing files to MacBook Pro 17". When I get it.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chenderson2, Feb 19, 2009.

1. chenderson2 macrumors member

I have my present G4 PowerBook backed up with Time Machine to a firewire hard drive. Any suggestions on how to bring in the files to my new MacBook Pro - when I get it? I mean to bring in the iTunes files, iPhoto files, etc.
    Can I use Time Machine to bring all this in. I've been told that "migrating" from a PowerBook to an Intel Mac can be risky.

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Should be fine, boot the new Mac from the Leopard DVD, or the DVDs that came with it. Look under the Utilities menu when you boot up from the DVD, and select "Restore from Backup".

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

can't you use "Migration Assistant" in the /Applications/Utilities

4. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Yes, use the Migration Assistant. Do not restore! That will wipe out your OS. Read this thread on Migration Assistant.

5. otis123 macrumors 6502a

i just moved all my stuff on Saturday to my new mbp from a ibook G4, i did it all manually, i didn't want to do a TM transfer, i wasnt sure if it just imports the entire HDD image, and i didnt all that PPC crap on my new lappy, it was really fast 10gb of itunes copyed in like 2 minutes, so i would do it manually.

6. chenderson2 thread starter macrumors member

So, did you use Time Machine to copy the files to the new MacBook Pro, or did you connect the two machines. I'd rather move the files from the external HD.

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Don't do that

Read Repo's link (if you haven't already)

8. otis123 macrumors 6502a

I made a TM back up of the old laptop on a external HDD, then just picked and chose the files off the TM backup

9. chenderson2 thread starter macrumors member

That is what I am planning on doing. It's just that it is not as simple as it used to be. Apple now has an integrated way of accessing files from iTunes and iPhoto, which makes it difficult to know exactly which files to copy.