importing footage from canon 5d m2 into final cut express

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by platypusrex256, Jan 28, 2011.

1. platypusrex256 macrumors newbie

I want to be able to transcode Canon 5D mark II footage into codec Final Cut Express can handle without constant rendering or distorted aspect ratio.

Source is 1920 x 1080 h.264

Using Streamclip, I transcoding to 1280 x 720 Apple Prores not knowing that Final Cut Express does not support any codec except for AIC. Not even DVCPRO seems to work.

To be precise, FCE requires you to transcode your footage into AIC 720 x 480, 30fps. Or it will start killing kittens.

Also note: apparently, Intel doesn't support the AIC encoder?!?!

Streamcip has trouble transcoding 1920 x 1080 into 720 x 480 without distorting your image. So it looks like you can crop -100 from the bottom and top of the image to hack a non-distorted 720 x 480 image. So this:

[​IMG]

If there is a better solution out there, I would love to know about it.

2. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

I don't know where you're getting your information from or why you're doing the things you're doing...

All you want to do is transcode your source footage into AIC with uncompressed audio. Don't change the resolution or frame rate (assuming it's 29.97fps, not 30.00fps) or crop anything.

3. platypusrex256 thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you ever used Final Cut Express? Its a pain in the butt.

I think you need to crop the image because Streamclip can't resize the 1920 x 1080 to 720 x 480 without image distortion. Essentially, you need to drop some lines.

Do you think I should convert into 29.97 over 30?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Does your Canon have the latest firmware? What frame rate did you shoot at? I ask because I do not think FCE can have a native 24fps (aka 23.98/23.976) timeline.

FCE will work with both SD and HD resolutions. Have you started a new project using the correct HD Easy Setup?

What problems are you having that lead you to believe this?

Lethal

5. platypusrex256 thread starter macrumors newbie

I shot 23.98. And yes, FCE hates that frame rate. That's why I converted to 30fps.

I am curious why a non-television distribution person would care about anything outside of even 24p or 30p.

Oh look at that! I can get DVCPRO and HD formats... but i think the 1920x1080 ratio is still a problem.

Streamclip doesn't give me the option to export as AIC. And I read at the bottom here that the codec isn't supported.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you are only sending it out over the web frame rate really doesn't matter. If there is ever a chance someone will want to watch it on a TV then you have to pay attention to TV standards.

FCE works natively w/AIC 1080i footage.

What versions of FCE, OS X, and QT are you using? I have an intel Mini and a Mac Pro and AIC shows up in both in MPEG Streamclip.

That thread is from '07 and, for some reason, the OP had an outdated, PPC-only version of AIC on his machine instead of a newer version that was UB.

Lethal

7. platypusrex256 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. Yes it does.

So I was finally able to transcode into 720p with no distortion. Also, I rebooted the computer and even my Macbook Pro was able to transcode video.

I solved the problem but I still hate Final Cut Express. :mad:

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That makes sense since both 1080 and 720 are 16x9. When you were trying to transcode to 720x480 did you have MPEG Streamclip set to letterbox (if that is even an option)? 720x480 is 4:3 so if you are coming from 16x9 your options are to distort the image to fit (anamorphic), letterbox, or center cut (only take the center 4x3 portion out of the 16x9 image). Even though it's a non-standard size you can use 854x480 if you want to work with 16x9 SD instead of 4x3 SD.

With all that being said I don't know if FCE is capable of working with anamorphic or 854x480 footage.

Never used FCE but I can imagine the anemic codec and timeline options can be frustrating. Over the last couple of years FCE has really started to show its age.

Lethal