Importing footage into FCPX from SD Card

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rocanlover163, Aug 7, 2012.

1. rocanlover163 macrumors member

For anyone that uses Final Cut Pro X, what is your workflow when working with DSLR footage? (Canon t2i) When importing footage into FCPX, do you just import the files into a new event? I'm was so used to the "Log and transfer" in FCP7.

2. mBox macrumors 68020

A few choices mine would be to back up the SD card first.
    Then import from HD back-up.
    I find it slow off the SD card for my taste.
    However I go full blown copy and optimize with my ingest.

3. rocanlover163 thread starter macrumors member

mBox, do you mind going into a bit more detail on this? Or is there a link maybe that can provide more info?

4. mBox macrumors 68020

Sure. One slow but safe way is to hook up the camera to computer or use an SD card reader and copy the whole folder structure onto a back-up drive.
    We do this at work using a NEXTO or just plain old drag and drop.
    With drag and drop you can make up any folder structure you wish.
    There is the old Adobe Bridge/Image Capture but at times that just clogs up your workstation specially if you are sharing with others (family, room-mate, etc...).
    With FCPX you can also use "Create Archive" by doing a Command + I (Camera Import). For this to work you have mount your SD card then select Camera Import and you will see the contents of the card in the Camera Import window.
    Now you can select "Create Archive" and save it anywhere you want.
    If you choose this option, it will create an Archive doc within User/Movies/Final Cut Camera Archives.
    You can move that anywhere you wish and access it from Camera Import window.
    I go thru these steps with Photography friends all the time.
    Drives me nuts when they dont back up their work.
    And these guys make 5k an event :p

For myself using GoPro docs, I ingest using the CineForm Studio or just plain old Command+Shift+I and turn on the top four options.
    The rest can easily be transcoded again later if you need analyze this and that.

Hope this helps.

5. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

copy contents from sd card to folder on hd. in fcpx, import preferences are all checked off. all my media is referenced. drag clips into event folder/key collections. quick and easy.

select all clips and create proxy media if you so wish, i do if i have time, makes editing faster.

6. mBox macrumors 68020

cant get any easier than that :)
    I would suggest to transcode to ProRes due to the many issues folks are having with using native camera codecs.

7. rocanlover163 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both for your help! I figured it was just drag and drop, but I just wanted to make sure!

Now when copying the contents from the sd card to a folder or event, do you copy also copy the "THM" files that are with each clip? I wasn't sure if those need to stay in the folder or not.

Also I hadn't realized people are having problems with the native camera codecs, I will see how it goes for me, if not I will transcode to ProRes. Which I assume I can do in FCPX and won't need compressor?

8. mBox macrumors 68020

Up to you, itll keep the SD folder structure intact but really dont need it.

9. daybreak macrumors 6502a

I might be on the wrong road here. But since i have had FCPX i have done all my importing on iMovie11. Using SH cards tape. Which gives me a change to sort out the good and bad. Followed by a very easy import into FCP-X.

10. mBox macrumors 68020

What ever works for you and gets you there with a comfortable workflow :)