Importing footage via USB: No sound, please help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Stang68, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Hey everyone,

My friend called me and they are trying to import footage from a Sony harddrive Handycam to their MBP over USB. They can find the footage and drop it on the desktop, but when they play it, there is no audio. Anyone have any ideas? I am new to the harddrive game...always been a Mini-DV man.

Thanks!

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

They probably need to demux the footage. That's normally the reason for no audio.

3. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

What does this mean?

Edit: Nevermind, got it. I don't know if she is going to be able to do that. Also, is there always a problem with Sony and Macs?

4. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Muxing and/or codec

What format does the camera store the video files in? The problem might be the correct codec is missing, or that the audio needs to be de-muxed. "Mux" is multiplexing, which is when two or more things are included together to transmit at the same time. The player may be skipping over the audio track because it doesn't expect it to be included in such a way.

5. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I am going to ask her right now. :)

6. oculus42 macrumors 6502

My friends have a hard drive-based video camera. The files it creates are MPEG-2 files. They needed the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback component to import them into iMovie properly. This may be the case for you, but I couldn't say without more details. VLC might be able to convert them into another format, or you can use a program like VisualHub (No longer available, sadly).

7. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

This sounds like it could work. I use MPEG Streamclip to convert stuff, now. Great program, btw :)

8. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Ok, so the files are mpg files. Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks, everyone.