importing "fragmented?" old dvds to itunes

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mochi&Cylon, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Mochi&Cylon macrumors newbie

I am looking to import dvds to itunes with discs that are from the 90s. I believe I am having difficulty with iSquint because the disc is from before dvds came with a single digital file. Everything is broken into several folders instead of one file. I'm not sure if fragmented is the right word. I tried importing the whole disc and I got an error message saying...
    "DVDs and VIDEO_TS folders can't be directly converted. Sorry. (-2700)"

Does anyone have a solution for importing really old discs to itunes? Maybe another program? My long term goal is to get it on my iphone/mobile me.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Video DVDs never use a single file for the whole content as the file system (Joliet) does not allow it.

So there is almost always an AUDIO_TS and a VIDEO_TS folder on the DVD, with the AUDIO_TS folder often not having any items inside, unless it is an Audio DVD.
    The VIDEO_TS folder contains several files, some are called .ifo, which contain the menus and links/information to/of the video files (.vob), then there are the .bup files, which are the backups of the .ifo files.
    As mentioned before, the actual video is stored in the sequentially numbered .vob files, which are roughly 1GB in size each except the last .vob file.

So in order to import video from a video DVD, you have to rip and convert the video to something iTunes and the i-devices read.

You can use MacTheRipper, RipIt and FairMount for the actual ripping process, then use Handbrake for the actual encoding process. Handbrake even has some presets which can be applied for your i-devices.

And if you use MRoogle you will find handsful of threads, as your question is a regular one, thus it gets answered or pointed to answers regularly.

3. Mochi&Cylon thread starter macrumors newbie

I couldn't ask for a more helpful reply. Thank you!

It worked beautifully. On a side note, one of my co-workers said she does it directly in one shot from HandBrake.