Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kodiak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
ive been using the LR beta for a bit, and i really do like it, so im very tempted (and beta expires soon:)) , however...

ive currently got all my photos in iphoto (in raw) with keywords/ranking
- anyone know of a good way to import them into lightroom?

my current attempts failed due to:
a) lightroom not supporting applescript
b) i looked at picturesync, with an aim to createXMP sidecar for tags etc, but this seemed to convert all my pictures into jpeg ( i want them in raw format within LR)

am i missing something? anyone know another way?

ive got a G4 imac, so aperture is not possible.

thanks

Mark

ecksmen

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2006
ive been using the LR beta for a bit, and i really do like it, so im very tempted (and beta expires soon:)) , however...

ive currently got all my photos in iphoto (in raw) with keywords/ranking
- anyone know of a good way to import them into lightroom?

my current attempts failed due to:
a) lightroom not supporting applescript
b) i looked at picturesync, with an aim to createXMP sidecar for tags etc, but this seemed to convert all my pictures into jpeg ( i want them in raw format within LR)

am i missing something? anyone know another way?

ive got a G4 imac, so aperture is not possible.

thanks

Mark

I didn't think Iphoto stored pictures in raw, I know it can open them / import from your camera, but I was under the impression as soon as Iphoto has anything to do with them it converts them to jpeg.

Can you not just import the images straight from the iphoto working directory?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well, I don't use iPhoto anymore, but from what I can recall, it stores files as RAW, but if you edit one, it saves it as a TIFF.

And with regards to keeping the editing, I guess you have 2 copies of each photo: the .TIFF files created by photo editing, along with the original RAW file. I don't think you can keep the keywords you assigned to each photo in iPhoto.

kodiak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
sorry wasnt clear :)

the raw files are still there... in the iphotos orginal folder
- and ive not edited anything in iphoto, i just use as a 'viewer'
so can reimport no problem to lightroom

the issue was the keywording, folder assignment and rankings ive done within iphoto.

if there is no known solution, then sounds like i might have to write one... just dont want to reinvent the wheel :)

anyway, did some tests and looks easy enough, can generate the xmp for keywords and rating ... but looks like the xmp doesnt support collections, but i was able to following:
iphoto - lightroom
year/rollname = heirarchy of shoots
keyword = keyword
folders = use keyword hierarchy
rating = rating
title = title
description = caption
:)

karamel

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2007
sorry wasnt clear :)

the raw files are still there... in the iphotos orginal folder
- and ive not edited anything in iphoto, i just use as a 'viewer'
so can reimport no problem to lightroom

the issue was the keywording, folder assignment and rankings ive done within iphoto.

if there is no known solution, then sounds like i might have to write one... just dont want to reinvent the wheel :)

anyway, did some tests and looks easy enough, can generate the xmp for keywords and rating ... but looks like the xmp doesnt support collections, but i was able to following:
iphoto - lightroom
year/rollname = heirarchy of shoots
keyword = keyword
folders = use keyword hierarchy
rating = rating
title = title
description = caption
:)

I'm looking for the same solution, do you mind sharing how you did?

davidmoskowitz

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2008
You did it?

Kodiak:

Did you figure out how to do this? I am in the exact same boat and have had total failure to get the keywords etc from Iphoto to Lightroom for CR2 raw files with Picturesync...

Please direct me on how to accomplish this feet....

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
iPhoto Keyword utilities

I did my iPhoto -> LR transition a few months ago. Not knowing how to write Applescript, I did find iPhoto Keyword Utilities:
http://code.google.com/p/iphotokeywordutilities/wiki/Readme

Which allowed me to move just the keywords -- no ratings or collections, unfortunately. But it was a hell of a lot better than starting totally from scratch with keywording. Ouch.

Good luck, and please let us know your favorite solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.