Importing goodies-

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chilidipper, May 18, 2008.

1. chilidipper macrumors newbie

I have a iMac 2.8ghz with 2 gb of memory. I am trying to import all my photos, video and music. iPhoto is choking, keeps shutting down and needs to be relaunched. Unfortunately it does not seem to reset (free up the memory) Do I need to just reboot to have that happen?
    In windows you just have to close the application and that frees up the memory. I am surprised that Apple has not figured this out yet? Thoughts?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. chilidipper thread starter macrumors newbie

optimizing my iMac

Trouble with importing large amounts of data...
    If I use a memory utilization ( free cache) software and increase my memory to 4 GB, will that resolve my problems?

4. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

OS X does not free memory that is inactive until needed by another app. Rebooting will free it up, but the system will start to gobble it up again as apps are run. This is by design and not a problem. It speeds up loading apps and files the second time around.

If you are importing the pictures from a Windows PC drive, take a look at the files names. Some may work in Windows, but not in Mac OS/iPhoto. Try copying your pictures over to the Mac's drive manually and them import them from the Mac drive to iPhoto. You may find one or more of the files is unable to be read by the Mac for one reason or another, so copy groups of files at a time and try to isolate files that cause a copy error during the move to the Mac's drive.

If you are importing from another Mac or a drive that was used with another Mac run Disk Utility and attempt to repair permissions on that drive.