Importing HD clip to iMovie HD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by manifest3r, Oct 18, 2007.

1. manifest3r macrumors newbie

I'm trying to import an HD clip into iMovie HD without losing any quality, but once I import it it looses aboout half the quality...

I tried going on preferences and chaning to High and Standard quality, but obviously that makes it worse, the default quality is on Highest...

I also compressed the original 2-ish GB file into a 1.something MB file and the quality stays the same, so what will happen if I am able to import the 2GB vid file into iMovie HD??

T_T

p.s. I made the video @ home and I am putting the video on teh mac(its at my school) via USB, the clip is only 15 seconds long, and made from Adobe After FX...

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

What codec is the movie you are trying to import? If you're importing HDV, you're not losing any quality on the import. What are you seeing that makes you suspect you are losing quality?

3. manifest3r thread starter macrumors newbie

well, when I converted it, ts in .avi format, and I have another in quicktime format...I use Total video converter...

I watch it before I import it into iMovie and its nice and clear and crisp, and it has a sort of spotlighted background, and when I put it into iMovie and play it, it becomes all noised and looks worse than a YouTube video...and thats pretty bad...ill try to get some pics up, but what im going to do on Monday is im going to render the actual video on the mac and try importing the RAW uncompressed video to iMovie...

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

Yes, this is what you should do. To be used properly in iMovie, you need the video to be exported from Afer Effects in DV or HDV format.
    I thnk you will be alot happier with the results that way.

Good luck!