Importing HD Video from the T2i

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by stigilicious, Mar 4, 2010.

1. stigilicious macrumors newbie

Hey guys! I just bought a T2i. It shoots gorgeous still photos and video...but I don't know how to get the videos onto my Mac for editing. Before this camera, I was shooting on MiniDV, and now I'm using SD. What would be the easiest way to import HD footage?

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What Mac and Mac OS X version do you use, what editing application do you want to use and how do you transfer your photos from that camera normally?

If it is via iPhoto, most of the time, the videos are transferred too.

3. stigilicious thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using the newest iMac (3.06 GHz, 4GB Ram, OS X 10.6.2). As of right now, I don't have anything for photos and video other than iPhoto and iMovie...I am planning on getting Aperture and Final Cut, but that could be a while. Basically, I just wan't to get the video onto my computer, because I'm not going to be doing very intensive editing right now anyways.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I gather you have the Canon EOS 550D (Rebel T2i) via searching the 6u, so why don't you consult the manual on how to get the videos from the camera?

Or use the EOS Utility, that can be installed via the CD/DVD that came with the camera?

Or take the SDHC memory card and insert it into the SD card reader on the iMac and copy the files via Finder?

Canon EOS Utility Manual

Image Browser Manual

5. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

• Put the card in your SD reader
    • Open the drive that mounts (e.g. EOS_DIGITAL)
    • Open the folder "DCIM"
    • Open the folder inside this (various names here)
    • Choose the files that begin with ''MVI_XXXX.MOV" (where X = a number), these are movies. There might be text files that begin with the same prefix but end in THM (MVI_XXXX.THM), ignore these for now; they have some data on the shutter speed that can be important later for reference.
    • Select a file
    • Press spacebar for quick look to make sure its what you want
    • Move the file to where you want it.
    • Import it to iMovie
    ----

I would not worry about FCP just yet.

Since you are new at this, I would do a little searching on the 180 rule, just google it for more. Doing editing on these files, as is, is rough. Don't be shocked if its choppy; you are doing nothing wrong likely, its just the way it is with H.264 files of this size. H.264 is a delivery format more than it is an editing format. You can 1. live with it or 2. convert it to a better format using NeoScene (or Streamclip) and then edit this version. Neoscense is better, but it cost 100$. Streamclip is FREE, but there its not lossless.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

6. aaronglaser macrumors newbie

iPhoto works great

I use iPhoto to organize my videos. They transfer just like photos and you can find them easy in iMovie.

7. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

I know its a little late and you've probably found your answer by now, but incase anyone else was wondering just goto your applications folder and open up "Image Capture" ...you'll see your movies in the list, then just drag and drop or use the "download all" button.

8. Dillah22 macrumors newbie

The T2i allows you to film at either 1920×1080, 1280×720 or 640×480 pixels with 30fps, 25fps, and 24fps. Video is an absolute highlight of the EOS 550D / T2i and it’s wonderful to have this degree of control in a camera.

9. jouliparker macrumors newbie

Nice sharing.i also saw the video and like it so much.

10. anewdesign23 macrumors newbie

Hey i'm having the same problem... just got my T2i and took some test video which I imported into Final Cut as .mov file which resulted in seamless audio and very choppy video. Is there any way to log and capture from the t2i? Or do I need to convert my video files to a different format??

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Transcoding the source to something FCP likes would be spectacular.
    Use MPEG Streamclip to transcode the source (.mov container, H264 codec) to a QuickTime file, using the .mov container and either the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) or ProRes codec.

12. anewdesign23 macrumors newbie

Great! Thank you!

I exported to quicktime using Apple ProRes 422HQ which seemed to work in FCP when I imported it, no choppy video BUT the video file is imported much larger than I view in the viewer. Is there an option in the streamclip application to change the size of the video??

13. handsome pete macrumors 68000

You really don't need to convert to ProResHQ. You will be fine with just regular ProRes.

I'm not sure of all the options Streamclip provides but if you have FCP, then you should also have compressor, which will give you plenty of conversion options as well.

What do you mean by change the size? Change the resolution? Why would you want to do that?

14. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As explained by the documents I linked to in my third post (answer to yours), AIC and ProRes take up much more space than your compressed H264 video.
    Compressor and MPEG Streamclip can't do much about this, as FCP (or any other editing application) needs its footage as uncompressed as it gets.

Look at the documents I linked to and see, how much GB/h is taken by AIC and ProRes.

15. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

Canon have a wonderful utility to take the heavy lifting out of transferring and converting h.264 files to ProRes.

First download this…

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3249

Unfortunately is doesn’t work with the 550D/T2i, :rolleyes: but one can make it work by doing the following…
    ;)

Go to Library/Application Support/ProApps/MIO/RAD/Plugins/CanonE1.RADPLug/Contents/Resources/

Open up cameras.plist, and after the 7D info insert the following script:-

<key>T2i</key>
    <array>
    <string>Canon EOS REBEL T2i</string>
    </array>

Save the text file. Close it. Everything should work now. If you have the 550D then insert this instead of T2i

:D

16. Huxlay macrumors newbie

Thanks for you information i newly join and your post help me.

17. jimmypeter macrumors newbie

Hi guys,,,,
    Nice discussion is going on it proves
    To be helpful for me and should be helpful for everyone,,,,
    And I also really enjoyed it ….
    Thanks,,,,,