importing imovie project files into imovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adie, May 7, 2009.

1. adie macrumors newbie

So, I have all of my imovie projects backed up on my external harddrive, as well as the imovie program. I accidentally deleted all of the imovie projects and events from the imovie application on my laptop. When I try to re-import the imovie files into imovie, it doesn't recognize the files. I have tried to convert them with iSkySoft Video Converter. That converter program does not recognize the files either. I also tried burning the files onto a disc and then pulling them off the disc with the Handbrake program. This doesn't work either. I also tried importing the files into iMovie HD, which I have on my desktop, but to no avail. Are these files alll useless now? I'm at my wits end because I have spent literally months compiling footage for a documentary.

2. Elbert C macrumors 6502

iMovie will have problems with importing/exporting project files from a disk that isn't formatted as HFS+.
    If your external HDD was formatted as HFS+ then I haven't a clue.

3. adie thread starter macrumors newbie

dont let this happen to you

After talking to some people at the apple help call center I learned that moving imovie projects out of imovie breaks all the links between the project and the events. I made this mistake and lost a years worth of work on an hour long documentary. Don't be like me! Leave your files in the program, and export your projects as a backup, and burn them to a disc!

4. Vernon007 macrumors newbie

importing imovie files in

I have just done the same thing and am furious that imovie is such a poor programme that this can happen makes me want to go back to PCs. Why haven't apple published a big warning about this that everybody should be aware of:mad: