Importing in FCE

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TuffLuffJimmy, Aug 28, 2007.

1. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

When I import a days worth of filming from my MiniDV camera into iMovie '06 or '08 the clips I took are recognized and broken into their own clips into iMovie, but when I import into Final Cut Express all of the clips are put into one large clip. Is there a setting somewhere that will break it up into the smaller clips?

I'm very new to FCE and was also wondering how to cut the clips up in the preview viewer, I can only figure it out in the timeline viewer. What I mean to do is to break up the long clips into smaller clips and put them back into bins and not necessarily use them in the timeline.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

These should help:
    http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/finalcutexpress/

In the User Manual, Part IV, Chapter 14 "Capturing Your Footage to Disk" ( starting on pg 171) this basically gives you your answer. The capture process on FCE ( and FCP ) is not so much "all or nothing" like imovie. This used to be a much bigger deal when dealing with analog media, and limited disk space where the full resolution clips would stay on the original media until you were ready for your final render.

These documents and more should be prresent on your Install DVDs.
    If you aren't aware of them, you might also not be aware of alot of the other bonus stuff that comes with FCE now, especially Livetype which is just fantastic to have for the price of FCE.

3. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Thank you, This really helps. I love live type but it's a bit overwhelming sometimes; I guess I just have to sit down and really play with this stuff to get it.

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

Also, if you don't know about it already Ken Stone's website is a really great resource for all things Final Cut:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_homepage_index.html#fcp

Most concepts covered reguarding FCP 4 and older will also apply in FCE HD. Be sure and look at the "editing" section and the article archive section as well.

Good luck!