Importing into Addressbook help......

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MariekeFJ, Jan 4, 2010.

1. MariekeFJ macrumors newbie

I'm coming quite along here........

but now I have a question about the address book. I have exported the files from Outlook and they are on my external, ready for import into Address book.

Now I made 3 different groups; business 1, business 2, personal. Matching the file names to be imported.

Then I drag file 'business 1' into the matching folder. They go in perfectly, BUT they also appear in the 'all contacts'. Not a problem, untill I import 'business 2'. They ALSO go into 'all contacts', of course when personal gets added........

Is there any way to prevent all contacts to be meshed together in the 'all contacts' group? I.e. that personal and business don't get meshed together?

Thanks

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

All contacts is what it sounds like. It contains all of your contacts. If you don't want to see all contacts, just look at one group at a time.

3. MariekeFJ thread starter macrumors newbie

That is not quite how modern day contact management works. If people sign up for newsletter A and you also sent them newsletter B, it will be reported as 'spam', too much 'spam' and your account will be canceled, that is BAD for business.

So you MUST separate. If addressbook can't do that, then that is fine, there are other applications, but I'm trying this first.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Like I said, Address Book can do that. Just ignore the All group.

5. fergwad macrumors newbie

Just like your other thread, this post fails in one of three aspects:

a) you're asking for functionality that is specifically and inherently not possible in the functionality you are asking about. The list of "all contacts" is indeed, all your contacts. The individual groups for personal, business, are there so, presumably, you can send things to those entire groups while not sending it to people that are not in that group.

or

b) you're asking for functionality that appears to the readers as quite apparent. How do you keep your groups of contacts separate? My making groups with separate contacts. You've done that already.

or

c) you're asking for functionality but have not explained it very well. If a) and b) aren't what you're asking for, can you be more specific about what it is you are trying to accomplish that you can't? i.e., to what end does your separate group of contacts not allow you send an email to all of them, while avoiding the other contacts that are not in that group?

6. cbbob macrumors member

I understand what you are saying. I also had that problem. Forget the "all contacts" and just use the groups you set up. It takes a while to get used to, I know but once you get used to it it'll be ok.

7. MariekeFJ thread starter macrumors newbie

The mass mail program that is used to sent the newsletters is not recognizing the difference, Entourage fixed it.