importing into imovie from kodak playsport

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by wizzerandchips, Apr 11, 2010.

1. wizzerandchips macrumors 6502

I have just purchased a kodak playsport hd camera, but for the life of me how do I import the movies into imovie :mad: why is it not as easy as my old DV minicam whereby you just plug it in and voila. I cant seem to drag and drop. Help please im close to throwing it out of the window:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

details because we're not mind readers.

what does it record onto? SD?
    What kind of format does it record into?
    what version of iMovie are you using?
    what is your OS?
    what is your machine?

3. wizzerandchips thread starter macrumors 6502

SD
    not sure:eek:
    imovie 09
    latest OS
    Intel imac

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The camera does record its footage using the H264 codec, but I don't know what container (wrapper) is used.

Can you see the files in Finder? What container do they use (.mov, .avi, .mp4, ...)?

Can you drag them to iMovie?
    Have you made sure the camera is compatible with iMovie?

5. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Don't be :mad:, get :apple: :D
    Anyway, import the movies from the SD card to iPhoto. That's right, iPhoto. And then they will show up in iMovie under the videos from iPhoto.

6. wizzerandchips thread starter macrumors 6502

I can drag them onto desktop and they show as a . Mov file, but try drag into iMovie just doesn't work, I'll try the iphoto thing, I have aperture which as soon as I plug in the camera it opens aperture and I can download into aperture.

7. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I have a Playsport and it imports into iMovie 08 just fine. I haven't tried the way you are doing it nor have I tried connecting the camera directly.

I remove the SD card and plug it into the reader. I copy the files (.mov) from the SD card into a folder on my hardrive. This is so I have a backup of the original file. Then I go to iMovie 08 and import the movie in from that folder. I usually select "copy file" instead of "move file" again so I maintain a backup of the original. From there it's editing in iMovie like normal and usually exporting to ATV and me.com.

That's been my workflow on every camera (still and movie). I don't know why, but I've never connected cameras directly to the computer. Except for of course the old mini dv camera, but that's the only way to get the footage off.

I don't see why the way above would not work for you. Give it a shot. I'm pretty happy with the Playsport considering it's a $150 HD camera. The 1080p is ok to me but I'm impressed with the 720p 60fps. I just wish ATV would play 60fps and the publish to iTunes button in iMovie didn't knock everything down to 960x720 automatically. You can get 1280x720 into iTunes and ATV by going thru Quicktime so I'm not sure why the felt iMovie needed to go 960x720 into iTunes. In all honesty though, it's pretty hard to tell the difference on our tv.

8. wizzerandchips thread starter macrumors 6502

Il even tried what this guy said.and tried it in imovie 08 on my old imac. i give up, sending the camera back to amazon, thought macs could see all cameras, very dissapointed.

I would recommend that you download MPEG Streamclip (which is free.)
    In iPhoto, right click on the movie and select REVEAL IN FINDER.
    Drag the video file into MPEG Streamclip. Then in MPEG Streamclip, select FILE/EXPORT TO QUICKTIME and choose either Apple Intermediate Codec or DV. Keep the same dimensions. Save this file where you can find it. You should be able to import this file into iMovie using File/Import/Movies.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Is your device on this list?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3290

Can that device you use even be described as a camcorder or is it more like a camera? How does Kodak view that device?

This didn't help either?

10. wizzerandchips thread starter macrumors 6502

this is what I bought

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/pd/PLAYSPORT_Video_Camera/productID.169976100

and no downloading mpeg streamline and doing what he said, in various different formats didnt work. I dont know what I am doing wrong but I should be able to drag the movie in like I do a photo in a new project in imovie, right ? I go through the process of importing but where the F$$k should it import to, I assume it should go straight into the new project and you can edit like I would with my mini DV camera, but on no !. It just goes to a file on my harddirve, I try and drag it into iphoto and open it within imovie but it doesnt show up on the drop down menu, yet its in itunes under movies.

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I make you a proposition:

You film some seconds with this camera, copy the clip from your camera to your HDD (the .mov file) without using iPhoto or iMovie if possible, upload the clip via http://www.2shared.com/ and send me either the resulting link* via PM or post it here, and then I try it for myself.

Would you care to do that?

* there is an Administrator Link and a Download Link. Save the Administrator Link for later to remove the uploaded clip if you want, because otherwise you have to send an email to the support admin. Use the Download Link to either send it to me per PM or post that here.

12. wizzerandchips thread starter macrumors 6502

ok bud, have done it and heres the link http://www.2shared.com/file/12631630/c2a421b/100_0007.html.

good luck and thanks :p

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I had no problem importing it.

The source file has this format:

[​IMG]

The iMovie project looks like this:

[​IMG]

I have chosen 1920 x 1080 as video size, even though the video is smaller.

I also had no problem choosing LARGE as an option.
    [​IMG]

My Preferences:
    [​IMG]

So all in all, it was easy, and I did not need to do any kind of conversion.

Are you sure you have iMovie '09?

Btw, I have Perian installed.
    [​IMG]

My other video related installations are:
    Final Cut Studio 2
    Avid Media Composer 3

14. wizzerandchips thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi and thanks for the effort in what you have done for me, and now seeing your screen shot i now know what I have got wrong, I didnt know about the event library :eek::eek::eek: I just clicked on the star at bottom of page and Voila there are all my downloads. To say I am a muppet would be an understatement. Once again thanks for enlightening me :apple: