Importing iPad from US to UK

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by invertedtwisted, Nov 12, 2010.

1. invertedtwisted macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm thinking about using bundlebox to import an iPad save myself a bit of money. Just a couple of questions: Will the Warranty be valid in a UK apple store, and are there any differences between US and UK iPads? (I'm getting a wifi one, just curious about things like whether or not it comes with a power adapter and whether it will work with the UK iTunes store.)

Thanks very much guys!

: )

2. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I think you just need to register you device after receiving it as a gift from your pal in the US. ;) Apple will provide warranty service internationally. Your only issue will be to get a power plug adapter. The iPad's AC adapter works on 110 and 220V, but it comes with a modular US power plug when purchased here. FYI - a 3G iPad will also work perfectly in the UK.

3. Queen6, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Nope, they are all the same my friend bought an iPad in the US and I sourced mine from Singapore (iPad is not released in Malaysia) Apple will stand by their warrantee, the only limitation I know of is the iPhone as it can be locked to the provider

Q-6

4. invertedtwisted thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! Kevin, with regards to registering the devices, do you mean with Apple for the warranty or do you mean with customs? Also, I didn't know the iPad came with a power adapter, but can I just charge it through USB on my mac and through my iPhone's power plug? Thanks : )

5. pmudditt macrumors newbie

Your iPhone's power plug will not charge an iPad very well which is why they supply one. It is easy to convert the US power adapter to the UK, I just plug it into an old two pin connector lead from an old DVD player which gives you a nice long power lead so you can still use it when charging.

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The iPad adapter is 10 watts. Anything else will make your iPad charge very slowly.

7. nazuk, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

I bought one from the Staes during launch..

..mine was the wifi model 64gb.

I simply used an old Apple 3-Pin UK Plug (spare from my Macbook Pro), plugged in the original iPad USB cable and adapter into it, and as they say around here: bob's your uncle!

You can use any 3 pin UK adapter, as the voltage is universal.

I use the same USB cable to charge my iPhone 4, iPad, iPhone 3G, and iPod Touch's - from the iPad adapter.

I have no trouble with any of my three different routers using the wifi.

PS: Remember, customs and excise is 'highly likely' to charge you the import fee. That can vary but it's from about £90 onwards depending on which model you get. Might be just as cheaper and hassle free to get it from here!

However, if luck is on your side, and don't assume it is, then customs might not charge you!

/enjoy!

8. invertedtwisted thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks guys, I'll just buy an adapter then.

Nazuk, I was planning on using bundlebox.com to ship it over here, they say they take care of all the import taxes etc. Anyone have any experience with them?

9. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

Yeah, Bundlebox have been used by many on here, i've used them myself to buy a couple of things... But be warned, the charges can add up, especially with the dollar not being that great against the GB Pound compared to a year ago.

Try and not go for standard US POstal Service with Bundlebox - thats the UK equivalent of our Post Office. They are extremely slow. You could potentially be waiting for a fortnight. Although it's more expensive, stick to the Fedex's and UPS's of this world. Better tracking, and much faster.

Like I said, may not be economical to get it from over there via Bundlebox. If you have a friend or relative or somebody you trust, much cheaper if they are due to pop over to the States and pick one up for you. No import charges and delivery charges to pay.

Let us know how you get on in this thread, always interesting to follow other people's experiences.

AND.... we really want to know your unboxing experience - we can never have too many of those :)

10. invertedtwisted thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha! I'm afraid my unboxing won't be for a while yet, I'm going to have to wait until my birthday on December 28th to get my hands on this thing :p

I've contacted bundlebox to check how much their fees will come to, but if it's going to cost no more to use them than the £35 they say on their website then by buying one of the refurbished iPads that are going on the US apple store right now I stand to save myself about £120, which seems worth the fuss to me!

11. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I was actually quoting some of Apple's warranty language as provided in this post from another forum:

www.ipadforums.net/international-ipad-users/1356-international-warranty-when-ipad-purchased-usa.html

As others have noted, most power adapters and computer USB ports can't provide the 10W required to properly charge the iPad. When I connect my iPad to my 2007 MacBook Pro, the iPad displays "Not Charging". Actually, it is getting charged, but *very* slowly.