Importing Issues With Garageband

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by nuclear MnMs, Feb 19, 2011.

1. nuclear MnMs macrumors newbie

Hello, I have been trying to import songs from my iTunes library to my Garageband to edit them and take sections out as loops.

However, when I import the song (either by dragging or using the media import), Garageband automatically converts the song and removes all the bass. Is there a way for Garageband to not convert my music?

Thank you so much.

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

To me it sounds like you have some custom equalizer setting in iTunes to boost the bass because afaik it's a straight conversion that Garageband does, ie. what is in the MP3 file gets converted to AIFF. But if you want you can open the MP3 file in Audacity and export it as AIFF and see if there's any difference.

3. Joe Bannon macrumors regular

It wont make a difference to from MP3 to AIFF.

4. nuclear MnMs thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, I don't have any equalizers applied to my iTunes library. The conversion takes all bass away completely and there is a definitive difference in audio quality when playing the song in iTunes (or even in the import menu) compared to playing the song in GarageBand.

The song files are all either m4a or mp3, if this helps.

5. jackerin macrumors 6502a

How does the MP3/M4A sound played in iTunes compared to played in Quicktime and opened in Audacity?

6. nuclear MnMs thread starter macrumors newbie

Well this is interesting. I opened all three (QuickTime, Audacity, and GarageBand) to compare the quality of one song. Now, all of a sudden, GarageBand plays the song normally without altering any sounds. You'll have to take my word on the fact that at one point it did convert the song and remove bass, which is strange, but it now works as it should! :D

Thank you for all your help, everyone!

Matthew