Importing itunes from iMac to iMac??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by videonastie, Jan 25, 2008.

1. videonastie macrumors member

I'm having real trouble importing all my itunes music from my old iMac to my new iMac. I've been on the net trying to find info on importing, but to no avail. I've connected the two Macs via Firewire & I could just drag & drop, but surely I'd lose all my album covers & data. Could anyone point me in the right direction to get this sorted?

CHEERS

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

everything in iTunes is stored in the iTunes Music folder in your music directory. just copy this folder to your new iMac's music folder then open iTunes on the new iMac while holding option and select the library. album art, song counts, playists etc will all be moved.

3. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

That's great. Just copy the following folder: /~/music/iTunes. There's the iTunes music folder and the Library file inside. When everything has copied, start iTunes on the new iMac and enjoy. :)

4. videonastie thread starter macrumors member

Is holding down the option key vital for it to import correctly?

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i dont think so but i usually do it this way. try it? if iTunes knows to look in the music folder then it will work.