"importing itunes music library.xml" pops up every time I launch iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Argelius, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

My MacBook Pro crashed this morning, requiring a "safe mode" restart. Anyway, on relaunch, everything seems to be working okay now. EXCEPT -- now whenever I first launch iTunes (after rebooting the computer), I get the popup progress box "importing itunes music library.xml" which is followed by a message about the iTunes library being moved to a "iTunes Library (damaged)" message when complete.

I guess my iTunes library has gotten corrupted somehow. I also just noticed that my Podcast subscriptions are gone...

I've searched for this error message and found numerous posts, but all seem to be in reference to moving the iTunes music library from one computer to another.

Can someone assist me in how to correct this problem? I don't want to try resyncing my iPod without fixin this first...

2. myimacsbust macrumors newbie

The same message comes up for me.

I've had the same [robs with itunes ever since i upgraded my RAM and i thought i'd solved it by deleting itunes and reinstalling and then using music rescue to get music back on but it keeps happening. i'm having loads of probs with my imac crashing too just like some one pulls down a blind on the screen and ive got to reboot. totally gutted wanted a mac for years now ive got one had nowt but probs. HELP ME PLEASE SOMEONE!

3. myimacsbust macrumors newbie

have you upgraded your RAM?

I think i found out what it was that was messing with my itunes i recently upgraded my RAM from 1 gig to 4 gig. A friend told me though that it sometimes causes probs with stability if you put the maximum RAM in to the mac.

So i took out one of the chips and replaced it with the 1gig RAM i took out and hey presto no more problems. it may be worth resetting the itunes library and re importing the files to it. hope this works

4. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Hmmm...Interesting. I hadn't heard that about the maxed-out RAM. That my original iTunes issue has disappeared, but I do experience relatively frequent random program crashes (very un-Mac like!) on my brand new MacBook Pro (with 4 GB memory). Perhaps I should try replacing one of the new 2GB chips with the original 1 MB chip...)

5. myimacsbust macrumors newbie

where did you get your ram from?

I got my RAM from OWC and it's not original apple RAM chips that i fitted.
    I was just curious if it was just the Chips That were substandard or if it was the operating sys., that was maxing out

6. mahanso1 macrumors newbie

Same Issue with iTunes Music Library [Damaged]

I just experienced the same problem, but it does not appear linked to my iMac's memory. I've had my iTunes Library up and error-free for more than a year post memory upgrade.

I was downloading two songs from the iTunes Store, and there was an error after the songs were finished downloading. I restarted iTunes, and it attempted to import 'iTunes Library.xml'. Then another error message popped up, stating that an 'iTunes Library [Damaged] file was being created. Now when I try to open iTunes, it is a very old Library, with none of my newer songs, no movies, and no TV shows. All the files for those new media are all still intact in my iTunes Library folder.

I did have FileVault activated (and have for the past two months). This seems to have created more problems since I activated it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

7. myimacsbust macrumors newbie

If you check your preference folder and see if the 'Copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library' box is checked in the advance settings. If so un-check it and reset your library to the folder that all of your music is stored. This was another way i sorted my itunes when it defaulted to the damaged setting. Also i would go in to finder and get rid of the damaged folder.

hope this works

8. jer16 macrumors newbie

jer16