importing live HD video into iMac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MacFergus, Nov 3, 2010.

1. MacFergus macrumors newbie

My work is looking at getting a camera with a remote controlled head that records in HD (720p or 1080i). The problem is, the only outputs that it has are component, s-video, and composite. Is there a way to record the live HD signal into an iMac (that's affordable). I've seen boxes that convert the analog signal into digital, but the affordable ones won't do HD, and the ones that will convert HD are thousands of dollars. As far as I know, the only way to import video on the iMac is through the firewire port (but I don't even know if that can handle HD signals) Are there any affordable options to do this?

2. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Affordable is a relative term. If it saves millions, thousands is affordable. If it's just so you can do it, hundreds may be too much.

Although not available just yet, this may fit the bill. It interfaces via USB and will accept HD signals via component.

Just remember that sending signals down a wire has limitations, so I hope the Mac is close to the camera, or you have a way of dealing with that.

Q2: do you have to have it in the Mac straight away? You probably won't be able to do anything else with the Mac while it's recording. Consider alternative recording products. Speak to the camera dealer.

3. MacFergus thread starter macrumors newbie

That looks like exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot! It looks to me like you plug the camera into that box and then plug that box into the computer via USB. The software then interfaces with it and you record from it. Is that right? Basically, the box and software convert the analog signal into a signal the software can interpret and record?

I work at a Christian college, and we want to be able to live record chapel services on DVD and on a computer for later editing if necessary. The Mac would be primarily used for video editing, and there shouldn't be a need to use it during the recording.

And yes, the computer will be very close to the camera.

Thanks again!