Importing mail contacts from windows to mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NikFinn, Jul 18, 2009.

1. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Hi guys,
    I just got my new MBP and am loving it, but I need to move my windows contacts from my pc to my mbp. They are in the .contact file type, located in the contacts folder under my username in vista. Does address book support this file type? If not, is there any other way to move them over?

Thanks,
    Nik

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Are these contacts from outlook, or windows contacts?

3. NikFinn thread starter macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Windows contacts.

4. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

The general best practice is to export the .contact files to vcards that add them to address book.

5. NikFinn thread starter macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

6. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Do you have Outlook on your PC? If you do and if importing Vista contacts into Outlook is easy (can't comment on that since I've been avoiding Vista and downgrading my machines to XP until 7 is officially released) then you could get a 60-day free Mobile Me account and use that to do the transfer. Then you also have 60 days to decide if you want to pay for Mobile Me.

Vista contacts might be exportable directly into Mobile Me as well.

7. NikFinn thread starter macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I believe I do have outlook express on my PC. But I have already used the mobileme trial when it came out, because I have an iPhone. There must be another alternative?

8. Rich B macrumors newbie

Not sure of the individual steps, especially from Vista, however, you could download the free Thunderbird program, import your contacts into that, then move the information onto the Mac.

For a new Mac user, I'd highly recommend the book "The Missing Manual; Switching to the Mac". It helped me tremendously when I made the move a year ago and remains as a reference for most things Mac. It actually has a detailed section specifically referring to this issue