Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
I finally got my ibook!! So, now I'm trying to switch info over. How do I import mailboxes from my emac? I have made several mailboxes for certain things and would like those on the ibook.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
You could either use the Migration Assistant, or go to User, Library, Mail and mailboxes, burn it, iPod it whatever, and then use the import feature in Mail .

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
iGary said:
You could either use the Migration Assistant, or go to User, Library, Mail and mailboxes, burn it, iPod it whatever, and then use the import feature in Mail .

Now your talking about burning off the emac correct? If so, I can't since the emac has no CD burner. :(
Don't have an ipod either. What is Migration Assistant?

I don't have a .Mac account. I'm sure I can get one to try on the ibook since it's brand new. Don't they give a free one year deal on it?
I didn't set up an account when I programmed this new ibook.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Cindy said:
Now your talking about burning off the emac correct? If so, I can't since the emac has no CD burner. :(
Don't have an ipod either. What is Migration Assistant?
Migration Assistant is a tool in Tiger that'll let you move over information from an old Mac to a new one, using Firewire Target Disk mode. You'll need a standard 6-pin to 6-pin Firewire cable. It gives you instructions on how to do the whole process. Just run it and it'll guide you through the rest—you can find it in /Applications/Utilities.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Well, I copied everything the hard way. :p
I just copied and pasted each into appleworks and then transferred that onto a hard disk.
It all went pretty fast.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Well as I just got my iBook, and it's what I'm typing on, I'm glad yours is up and running...

You should beable to notice a difference from the eMac

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
whoisdan said:
I just did this with a Firewire cable. Was a breeze.

Yep, I recommend this as well Cindy. Buy a firewire cable (~$20) hook it up to both computers and you can synch them so that the information on both is always the same. This is great if you're miles away and want to show someone a picture that you only loaded onto your eMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.