Importing miniDV Into iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Dave Braine, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I import from miniDV into the latest iMovie.

Any ideas how it determines clip lengths? When I import long, continuous clips it breaks them down into multiple clips of varying lengths. Some are as short as a second or less, some a couple of minutes.

2. dandeco macrumors 6502

When a video-editing program captures MiniDV footage, it often goes by the timecode of the video. If there is a sudden break or change in the timecode, then it stops there and begins a new clip.
    If that's not it, which version of iMovie are you using? I never really heard of this kind of problem.

3. Boyd01 Moderator

Boyd01

Staff Member

Are these old tapes that you're importing? If so, they probably have some errors that cause the separate clips. I have been working with a large amount of legacy footage recently (over 200 hours) and see this problem with Final Cut Pro also.

What are you using to import the footage? And old video camera? For starters I would get a head cleaning tape and use it as per the instructions. If you have not cleaned the heads regularly, that could be the problem. You might also try a different camera or video deck. Perhaps you could rent a professional video deck, or purchase a used one. They should be more robust than an old consumer level camera. However, individual cameras (especially cheap ones) can have their own idiosyncracies that makes it hard to import their tapes on another camera.

Also, what format did you use when recording the tapes? If you did not use the SP format (that gives about 60 minutes per tape) then you will probably have a lot of issues, especially with old tapes. You will also probably have issues if you used the longer tapes that could hold more than an hour in SP format.

4. Dave Braine thread starter macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, that's how it used to work, way back with iMovie6HD.

The latest, iMovie 10

No, just recorded.

A JVC miniDV camcorder

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Not for simple home movies.

Standard format.

5. Boyd01, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

Boyd01 Moderator

Boyd01

Staff Member

DV camcorders are getting pretty old, I stopped using tape in 2010 when I traded my Sony HVR-Z1U for an XDCAM-EX1 that records to memory cards. Ended up buying a used Sony pro deck to ingest all my legacy tapes. I can appreciate why that might not meet your budget. But you could look for another used DV camcorder, they are pretty cheap now. Was discussing this on a video site recently, people say you can get a high quality prosumer level DV camcorder like the Canon XL1 for around $100 used these days. A camera comparable to yours might cost $50 or less.

But really, you might think about finally moving away from tape and DV. Lots of inexpensive options for tapeless cameras today. And you will also save the cost of purchasing tapes. :)

6. dandeco macrumors 6502

Yeah, I began to go entirely tapeless around 2014, using a Canon PowerShot point-and-shoot still camera that could shoot 720-HD video, and my iPod Touch 5G and Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phone (both of which I can shoot and edit HD video on!) Then just last year I got a Canon VIXIA HF-R600 AVCHD camcorder, which really made a boost in when I make vlogs and such. (I got the R600 because it was cheaper, and because it's actually no different from the R700 and R800.) But I am still keeping my Canon Optura 60 MiniDV camcorder for if I ever need to import any DV tapes again; same with my Sony Digital8 camcorder that I primarily use for digitizing my old Hi-8 video recordings. (I also digitize older home movies from tape to DVD for others, so they also come in handy for that.)

7. Frank Maxwell macrumors newbie

Have you notice once it is old, it passes it sell buy date?. I do a batch capture and then delete what is not wanted. Many family video's are on the old format. I still use my old format. As long as it works and does the job, I dont need Apple to dictate or close the door on the old formats.

8. Dave Braine thread starter macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Thanks, but it's not a camcorder problem, and the one that I have suits my needs.