Importing MiniDV w/iMovie - Best way for archival purposes?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cz9h3d, Oct 15, 2011.

1. cz9h3d, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

cz9h3d macrumors member

I've got about 25 miniDV tapes I want to import in order to archive them for future editing. What is the best way to bring them in? I started the process a while back, and believe I left iMovie in "automatic" mode. Each clip was imported as an individual DV file. I believe it's using the tape timecode to accomplish this.

However, on some of the tapes I ended up with a bunch of 0.1s clips. Obviously these are pretty much impossible to work with. Maybe my tapes are starting to get old/degrade, hence my desire to get back to work and figure out the best way to bring them in. Should I bring them in on "manual" mode? Will this bring the tape in as a single MiniDV file I can break up later when I edit?

Any advantage to using FCPX to perform this (i.e. 30 day trial)?

thanks....

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

iMovie usually splits up DV imports into separate clips by detecting when the camcorder has started/stopped recording. It may well be that your tapes have some problems.

3. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Those microclips are probably glitches between when the camera was shut off and restarted. Final Cut has problems with these also.