Importing .mkv video into iTunes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by un.titled, Jun 20, 2011.

1. un.titled, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

un.titled macrumors regular

I've looked all over this forum and the internet and can't seem to find an easy solution. Any ideas? I know people have done this, or at least said they have. I don't want to re-encode the video.

Thanks for any help.

P.S. I have already tried "$ SetFile -t "MooV" -c "TVOD" example.mkv". Didn't work. I was able to get iTunes to recognize the format, and it would start to import the file, then iTunes would crash as the progress bar reached the end.

2. un.titled thread starter macrumors regular

3. motoracer1486, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I'm not trying to be clever. I did quite a bit of searching for you and I only saw that you have to convert the video before you can import to iTunes. Lots of people have asked the question, but I didn't see any responses anywhere that you could actually import a .mkv file without converting it first.

Apple's support shows this re: file formats:

What video content works with iTunes and mobile devices?
    iTunes:

Video content purchased from the iTunes Store.
    QuickTime and MPEG-4 movie files that end in ".mov", ".m4v", or ".mp4" and are playable in QuickTime Player.
    Video podcasts.
    iTunes Digital Copies.
    iTunes Store Movie Rentals (Requires iTunes 9 or later).

4. un.titled thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the help motoracer, but I am aware that .mkv isn't a supported standard of iTunes. Even QuickTime doesn't support it without Perian. The more I think about it though, I shouldn't have to re-encode it since an .mkv container should contain an h.264 video stream. I'm going to try and use a program called Subler (http://code.google.com/p/subler/) to open the .mkv container and export it as an .mp4.

5. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

This probably isn't the answer (droids) you're looking for but I used to have a ton of mkv files and I've gotten rid of most of them by converting them to mp4 files. Turned 8GB movies into 2GB without noticeable loss of quality (keeping video resolution the same aswell). Converting them I used a program called Handbrake. (converting a movie can take a long time, my desktop with the specs in my sig takes about 4-6 hours per for 720p)

Alternatively, if you're just trying to view your mkv files, head on over and download VLC, plays almost every format that's playable.

6. un.titled thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your reply. I can play the .mkv files fine through QuickTime (+Perian), I just like using iTunes because it keeps everything neat and organized in one central locations.

As to your second part about Handbrake. I am familiar with the program, I use it to rip my DVD collection onto my Mac. I was just really hoping that I didn't have to transcode these .mkv files because it will take a very long time and I don't really think you should have to since it's h.264.

7. un.titled thread starter macrumors regular

Update: I was able to use the Subler program (http://code.google.com/p/subler/) to open the .mkv files and then save them as .mp4 without transcoding. For a 2GB file, it took about 90 seconds to perform. iTunes recognizes the file and runs fine.

Easy solution after all.

8. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

It's Apple, It's iTunes :(

(I can't wait for an iTunes overhaul)

9. sketdansu macrumors member

Good Job

+1000 I have been looking for this

10. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the update. I've got some .mkv files that I'd like to import into iTunes as well. This will make it a lot easier/quicker to put them on my ipod! :) Downloading application now...

11. jim2008 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the update.:)

12. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

To the OP and anyone else with experience: has anybody been successful in using Subler for this? I've used Subler in the past but not for mkv -> mp4 conversion. For this, I've always used MKV4XBOX which produces files that play but not without some kind of corruption. Subler however, produces video that seems to be perfect but the audio is completely wrong.

13. un.titled thread starter macrumors regular

Subler has worked perfectly for the 5 videos I've done so far. Audio is the same quality and in sync. Converted my 2GB .mkv files to .mp4 in under two minutes each.

14. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why is that a MacBook pro question and are you serious? There are hundreds of threads referring to handbrake which will convert everything into iTunes format.

15. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

If you don't understand the question, don't try to answer it. He said he DIDN'T want to convert them, that takes hours! And he did what he wanted in 90 seconds. Guess who's serious.
    Thanks OP for the tip, I'm getting that app as soon as I get my mac :p
    But do you know if that can be done on windows (7) too?

16. dizmonk macrumors regular

Settings

What settings did you use?? I'm getting the video but the audio is messed up.

17. un.titled thread starter macrumors regular

It could be the .mkv file you're using.

1.) File > open, choose .mkv file
    2.) Make sure video and audio tracks are both selected (should be by default)
    3.) "Other settings" in the middle > check HD Video
    4.) File > save
    5.) Format is movie-MPEG4
    6.) Save.

What are the codec details for your .mkv file?

18. un.titled thread starter macrumors regular

I'd like to apologize for snapping at you earlier in the thread, I thought you were just trying to be a smart-ass like a lot of users on this forum. Thank you for trying to help.

19. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. Guess it must be something wrong on my end then.

20. dizmonk macrumors regular

This seems to be working. Thanks.. Is it possible to do a batch of files at once?

21. dizmonk macrumors regular

okay now I still am having issues.. Even if I do the same exact thing with different files.. one has audio problems and the other doesn't... :(