Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

617arg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
This is a real basic question which I just haven't been able to figure out:

How can I take a .mov file from my desktop (or multiple files representing "chapters") and get them onto my ios device for viewing.

I've tried importing them from itunes but that didn't work.

Thanks for any help.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
This is a real basic question which I just haven't been able to figure out:

How can I take a .mov file from my desktop (or multiple files representing "chapters") and get them onto my ios device for viewing.

I've tried importing them from itunes but that didn't work.

Thanks for any help.

You must first enable syncing of movies, like so:

sync-iphone-video-format-with-itunes.jpg

If it's a video file that iTunes or the Music app on iOS doesn't recognize, you could try using VLC for iOS.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I've found that the best way to put video files on your iOS device is GoodReader.

GoodReader lets you use a simple tool on your computer (Goodreader USB) to just drag and drop the videos directly to your device, then you can watch them (and delete them!) from the app. No syncing needed. It can also view images, PDF files, etc...

I'm not a shill or anything; it really just is the best app on my devices.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
My iPad is set for manually managing media, so I just drag an mp4 from my PC desktop to the device in iTunes (rather than importing into iTunes and then syncing to the device).

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
You must first enable syncing of movies, like so:

If it's a video file that iTunes or the Music app on iOS doesn't recognize, you could try using VLC for iOS.

Wasnt VLC removed from the App Store quite a while ago? Some folk behind VLC decided the way it was developed for iPhones was against their policy or something. Only way you can have it these days was if you managed to download it whilst it was available.

Could try AVPlayer though which plays all sorts of file types.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Wasnt VLC removed from the App Store quite a while ago? Some folk behind VLC decided the way it was developed for iPhones was against their policy or something. Only way you can have it these days was if you managed to download it whilst it was available.

Could try AVPlayer though which plays all sorts of file types.

It was, but it was recently re-released on the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.