Importing Movies from a video camera

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pilotkid, May 10, 2007.

1. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I just bought a minidvi video camera and i'm wondering how to i get the movies from the video camera to my computer? I know I use the firewire cable but there is no import option when i click on my HD and click on the movies section. How do I import my movies?

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Open iMovie- it's in your applications folder. You have to convert the footage to something your computer can read ;)

3. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

How do you get it to convert it to something it recognizes?lol:confused: :D

4. mpw Guest

If you use iMovie you just connect the FW cable power-up the DV camera and hit import. Job done.

5. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Open iMovie, little slider on the bottom to camera, click import (or rewind the tape first if you haven't already). The tape plays, the movie is being imported into clips.

6. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I just uploaded into imovie a total of 13 clips which equal about 30-40mins of video. When I clicked on one to see it a box popped up saying "letter boxing" it has been doing this for about 10mins....how long should it take? and what is letterboxing????

7. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Do you mean the clip info window? You need to single click on a clip, then either press space bar, or the play button under the window. If you're stuck on something quit the program and restart it- don't worry your clips will still be there.