Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
I have a 14" 1.42 ghz iBook G4, and I was trying to import videos in iMovie but I noticed it takes quite a long time... this 140 mb .avi file I have is going to take around 45 minutes to import into iMovie. Is this normal?

Would it be better to use quicktime to make movies?

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
MUCKYFINGERS said:
I have a 14" 1.42 ghz iBook G4, and I was trying to import videos in iMovie but I noticed it takes quite a long time... this 140 mb .avi file I have is going to take around 85 minutes to import into iMovie. Is this normal?

Would it be better to use quicktime to make movies?
The codec that you used is bad for importing. Some movie containers import faster than others. iMovie has to convert to DV. This is normal. If it happens to all your movies, then no it is not.

Particularly fast imports include .mov and .mpeg.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
ok thanks man! well it ended up taking 45 minutes to convert the avi, but nonetheless im glad you actually bothered responding and now i understand! much appreciated! :)

masiu

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2005
importing to imovie w/sound

aloooo, I'm hoping someone can help me. i recently imported some mpegs
to imovie. after importing the files appeared to have no sound. i checked the preferences and didn't find anything amiss. i burned a dvd just to be sure, and sure enough, no sound. there is no audio issue with my powerbook. the mpegs definitely have sound, i have watched them with quicktime. anyone know anything about this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.