Importing Movies using HB into iTunes in MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ET iPhone Home, Mar 25, 2014.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I have a few questions which I can't find in my google search?

1. I can't seem to Import a movie I used Handbrake into iTunes. I know how to import, but I can't seem to get this movie imported. Please keep in mind this is my first time attempting this.

2. When using my MBA to play/watch movies, I am able to watch them via the VLC player; will my iPhone detect and play movies I sync automatically, or will I need a VLC player for iPhone?

I used the toggle preset for iTouch & iPhone via HB. Does this setting compressed and scale the movie for iPhone use? I noticed that when I played it in my MBA, it ago-played it in full screen.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

Since it's your first time, make sure you converted to an iTunes format such as an .mp4.

To answer the second question, you'll be able to sync it to your iPhone, if it's in iTunes. If it's not then you'll need the VLC player for iPhone and you can manually ad the file to the player.

3. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Doesn't HB convert this to .mp4 since I selected iTouch/iPhone from the list of devices it would be played on? If not, where do I convert to .mp4? Can I actually do the conversion from an existing program in my MBA? Thanks.

4. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

If you want to play the file in the "videos" app instead of the "vlc" app, just make sure you rip your files in .mp4 format.

You should check in iTunes, under the Videos tab, see if your imported files went in as "home videos" because that is the new default for .mp4 files.

5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Man, that really had me confused too. I hadn't added movies to iTunes for awhile, and I wondered why they weren't importing. They all ended up under the home video tab. Now when I import HB files, I switch to the List view under Movies - that will show everything. Then I do Get Info > Options > Media Kind > Movie for all the files I have added.

I am in the process of ripping my large DVD collection with Handbrake and already have 175 movies on my MBA's 512gb SSD.

6. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Cool, I'm in the process of backing up movies too. But I'm doing Blu-Ray, I use Make MKV to rip the Blu-Ray to my disk then use HB to reduce the size from 19-26gb down to about 1-2 gb. Personally even on Blu-Ray disk, HB does a great job at reducing the file size without compromising the quality of the movie. Blu-Ray rips look much better on my iPad Air than DVD rips!