Importing MP3's into iTunes

MrVegas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
Columbia, Md.
I clicked on File/Import and then pointed to a hard drive of a PC on my shared network. I can see all my music in album folders just fine. But all the individual songs are *greyed out.* I cannot select them to import. Then I went to iTunes preferences for importing and changed the "Import Using" thing to MP3 encoder.

A. Why are my songs greyed out?

B. When I import using the encoder, it won't change the bitrate of the original MP3 will it? It confuses me that you specify the bitrate when importing ... usually importing just means moving files, not altering them?

Thanks a bunch.

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
iTunes "Importing" preferences are actually dealing with 'ripping' tracks off CD. Yeah, kinda confusing versus the Import via the File menu...

MrVegas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
Columbia, Md.
dejo said:
Ah, File Import is still for ripping! Try File > Add to Library... instead.
That's it! Good show.

Now I've got another problem. I selected the folder for an album (Beck/Sea Change) which has 12 songs. It brought them in very quickly. Nice.

Problem: it brought them in twice.

What's going on?

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
MrVegas said:
That's it! Good show.

Now I've got another problem. I selected the folder for an album (Beck/Sea Change) which has 12 songs. It brought them in very quickly. Nice.

Problem: it brought them in twice.

What's going on?
My guess: you're folder had a playlist in it.

Sedulous

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2002
Yeah, chances are your folder has .m3u files, better known as "Playlist" files. Just down bring those over and you will avoid duplicate tracks. At first this was annoying for me, but at this point, I don't understand why iTunes doesn't ignore .m3u files (or actually make a playlist from them).