importing my old files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jkramb, Jul 1, 2009.

1. jkramb macrumors member

I just put in a new hard drive and am moving my stuff from my external HD to my new HD. I opened Iphoto and drug the iphoto folder from my external into iphoto, but for some reason it didn't move my albums. It moved all of my photos, but didn't put them in albums. How can I transfer these so they stay in their albums.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Actually, drag and drop is probably not the best way to handle file transfer to a new HDD, especially for things like iPhoto, iTunes, etc.

You would be better off using:

A clone to restore
    Time Machine to restore
    Migration Assistant

These methods will preserve your structures far better than drag and drop

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. jkramb thread starter macrumors member

ok, so how do i clone just my itunes and iphoto from an external drive that has my time machine on it? I don't want everything else that was on my old hard drive?

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

im with macdawg. drag and drop can really be a pain cause you will also have to drag and drop the application support files in the library folder.

if you have or can get an enclosure for your old drive and just clone it, that will be the easiest way of doing things.

EDIT:
    it's easier to clone the drive and then delete the things you dont need or want than the other way around.