Importing my own ringtones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vjaaan, Oct 23, 2011.

1. vjaaan macrumors 6502

I have copied my own ringtones from my Macbook Pro's iTunes to my new Iphone 4S. I made a new music folder called Ringtones, but I don't know how to copy my songtones from the general Library to my Ringtones playlist.

But more important, how do I copy those new ringtones into the Ringtones list that iPhone already has. When I choose a contact person and edit to add a ringtone to that person, I cannot reach the playlist with my own ringtones.

Any ideas how I might do this? I have always been able to use my ringtones on my other phones.

Thanks.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Put them in iTunes and sync to phone, let it put them in the right spot and they'll be there. They also need to be in m4r.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

From further reading, I'm guessing that since you had them in a playlist, you were using something like mp3?

4. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, good point. They are mp3. But those worked as ringtones on my Palm Pre so I never thought to convert them.

If I convert them, will iPhone then put them in the correct playlist or ringtone "folder?"

5. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yep and you can use iTunes to convert, by having it make an AAC version, pull it out to your desktop, change the file extension to m4r, delete the original from iTunes and import the new one.

I understand, I had the Pre, then an Evo and they both use mp3.

6. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I was able to convert one of the ringtones to test this, and it worked fine. I copied it into a new Ringtones folder I made on the phone, but it does not show up in the phone's own ringtone section. So when I choose a Contact and Edit and try to pick a ringtone for that person, I have no access to the song I made.

How might I get my song added to the list of choices (or tell the program to go find it where I put it)?

Thanks so much.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Are you syncing ringtones? iTunes, select phone under Devices at the left, then click on Ringtones in the horizontal list (Summary / Info / Apps / Ringtones / Music / etc) and ensue "Sync Ringtones" has a checkmark.

8. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I highlighted Ringtones under my phones name in iTunes. One of the three songs in the list was the one I converted to m4r. Under File, I chose Sync to my iPhone (there was no options saying Sync Ringtones). I do have Sync Ringtones checked under Preferences.

But I go to my contact on the phone, under Edit, and under Ringtones, and the list for choices still only shows the built in songs.

----------

Ok, I just came across a new error message. It said it did not copy the m4r file to the iphone because it cannot be played on this iPhone.

Is there another way to convert the song, or does the new iPhone use a different file type?

Thanks.

9. ExecTech24 macrumors newbie

1. Without your phone connected, Start iTunes and find the song you want to convert. (It must be an MP3.)

2. Right-click the song and choose Get Info.

3. Click the Options tab.

4. Check the Start Time and Stop Time boxes, then enter times for each (no more than 30 seconds apart, the maximum length for a ringtone). I used 0:00 and 0:30, respectively. (This is the part of the song where the ringtone will be created.)

5. Click OK, then right-click the song again and choose Create AAC Version. You should immediately see a new 30-second version of the song.

6. Drag that version out of iTunes and into the folder of your choice. I created a folder on my desktop called “Ringtones”.

7. Delete the 30-second version from iTunes. When asked to keep file or move to recycle bin, I chose to move to the recycle bin because you’ve already copied it to your “Ringtones” folder.

8. Right click the original file, choose get info, and undo the Start Time/Stop Time changes by unchecking the appropriate check box.

9. Open the folder containing the 30-second AAC file you dragged out of iTunes, then change the file extension from .m4a to .m4r. Double-click it and it immediately gets added to iTunes' ringtone library.

10. Finally, connect your iPhone and sync.. When it's done, you can head into the settings, sounds and select your new ringtone.

10. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

I went through all the steps again (the songs were already 30 seconds) and at the final step, iTunes plays the song but never added it to the ringtones library.

----------

Ok, I changed a setting under Advanced (regarding not moving a song from original location into iTunes folder) and then double clicked to play the song from my new holding folder. This time it did indeed go to the Ringtones library.

However, after syncing phone again, I still do not see the ringtone in the ringtone list.

11. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

I appreciate all the help. However, I still have that final problem. The new ringtone copies to the phone and lists under Songs. But it does not get put into the phone's Ringtones list.

So it is still unavailable for selecting as a ringtone.

What else might I try to get the song into the correct location?

Thanks.

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I love Apple products but they can turn such a simple task into a nightmare!

With my SG2, you just copy the files into your ringtone folder and GO!

13. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Download this ringtone maker http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/download/MakeiPhoneRingtone.zip

Drag your AAC (.m4a) file onto that. It should make the proper file and put it in the ringtone section of iTunes. Now with your phone plugged itunes, select it on the left, and click the ringtone tab at the top (I think that's it, not at my computer). Select sync all, and apply/sync. That should be it.

14. vjaaan thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, thanks to a combination of things I have been reading on this forum (this thread plus another), I have finally succeeded in adding my ringtones to the proper ringtone location on the iPhone.

I used many of ExecTech24's suggestions regarding making the folder on my desktop, converting the mp3 files via AAC to m4r, double clicking them to play which puts them into iTunes. (all of this while iphone is NOT attached to computer) Then I plugged phone into computer and dragged the ringtones to the ringtone folder listed under my phone.

I had tried this earlier and it did not work, but I started from scratch, and deleted other versions of the songs still sitting in iTunes, and it seemed to clean this up to start fresh.

So, thanks to everyone with their suggestions. This forum is amazing.