Importing nikon d90 footage into Adobe Premiere Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TimeIndefinite, Feb 22, 2009.

1. TimeIndefinite macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I shot some footage on a Nikon d90 last night, brought it on to my computer (a dual dual core Mac Pro, running OS 10.5.6) using Adobe Bridge CS4, and everything plays great in Quicktime and even imports into After Effects CS4, but I receive an "Unsupported Compression in File" error when I try to bring it in to Premiere Pro CS4.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Or do you have a recommendation for free software for converting video into a better format for editing?

2. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

mpeg streamclip is a great program that i use to convert my d90 avis into hdv 720p (24 fps), so fcp can edit it natively. otherwise, i will have to re-render the video each time I change it on the timeline.

i assume ppro supports hdv. just set your timeline to hdv 720p (24 fps) or similar format and convert your d90 video files using this codec so they match up and hopefully, it should work.

mpeg streamclip can be downloaded for free on the internet, as well.

3. TimeIndefinite thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. That worked out great.

Btw do you record audio on a separate device when you shoot on the d90, and if so, what's your setup?

4. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

i don't have a sound recorder at the moment. but, i reckon, i will need one of those flash card based recorders like the Zoom H2 or similar devices since i am planning to shoot a short film using the d90. i kinda like the whole idea of shooting a film using a dslr, even if it means it will be strapped on to a tripod to keep it steady since handholding this dslr will mean very shaky video. so, in essence, even though this camera is small and very lightweight, it will be treated like a heavy film camera of yore. at least, that's the idea.

5. wolff75 macrumors newbie

no easier solution?

Hello, but does anyone know if there is a way to install a codec or something so that premiere pro (I'm using cs4) can read the d90's avis without having to convert them?

I shot a lot of footage, (perhaps a hundred shots!) and find it very tedious to be converting/recompressing every one of them...

Help appreciated, thanks!